Career and Education Opportunities for Mail Clerks in Ramapo, New York
Mail clerk career and educational opportunities abound in Ramapo, New York. There are currently 11,470 jobs for mail clerks in New York and this is projected to shrink 20% to about 9,230 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for mail clerks, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 11.8% over the next eight years. Mail clerks generally prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution.
The income of a mail clerk is about $13 per hour or $27,210 yearly on average in New York. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $12 hourly or $25,100 annually on average. Incomes for mail clerks are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postal in New York, and not quite as good as the overall Postal category nationally.
There are 136 schools of higher education in the Ramapo area, including three within twenty-five miles of Ramapo where you can get a degree to start your career as a mail clerk. Mail clerks usually hold less than a high school diploma, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a mail clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Mail Clerk
In general, mail clerks prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. They also use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages.
Mail clerks verify that items are addressed correctly, marked with the proper postage, and in suitable condition for processing. They also seal or open envelopes, by hand or by using machines. Equally important, mail clerks have to fold letters or circulars and insert them in envelopes. Finally, mail clerks place incoming or outgoing letters or packages into sacks or bins on the basis of destination or type, and place identifying tags on sacks or bins.
Every day, mail clerks are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for mail clerks to affix postage to packages or letters by hand, or stamp materials, using postage meters. They are often called upon to clear jams in sortation equipment. They also lift and unload containers of mail or parcels onto equipment for transportation to sortation stations. They are sometimes expected to add ink, fill paste reservoirs, and change machine ribbons when needed. Somewhat less frequently, mail clerks are also expected to remove containers of sorted mail/parcels, and transfer them to designated areas in line with established procedures.
Mail clerks sometimes are asked to contact delivery or courier services to organize delivery of letters and parcels. They also have to be able to inspect mail machine output for defects; decide on how to remove causes of any defects and accept and check containers of mail or parcels from large volume mailers and contractors. And finally, they sometimes have to answer inquiries regarding shipping or mailing policies.
Like many other jobs, mail clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Ramapo include:
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Mail Carrier and Clerk. Sort mail for delivery. Deliver mail on established route by vehicle or on foot.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Postal Clerk. Perform any combination of tasks in a post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders; place mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags according to State, address, or other scheme; and examine mail for correct postage.
- Postal Service Mail Sorter Operator. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail by State, type of mail, or other scheme. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service. Must complete a competitive exam.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Weighter. Weigh, measure, and check materials, supplies, and equipment for the purpose of keeping relevant records. Duties are primarily clerical by nature.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Mail Clerk Training
Keyskills Learning - Clifton, NJ
Keyskills Learning, 50 Mount Prospect Ave, Clifton, NJ 07013. Keyskills Learning is a small school located in Clifton, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 126 students. Keyskills Learning has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Berkeley College - West Paterson, NJ
Berkeley College, 44 Rifle Camp Rd, West Paterson, NJ 07424. Berkeley College is a small college located in West Paterson, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,052 students and an admission rate of 78%. Berkeley College has a one to two year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services.
Long Island Business Institute - Flushing, NY
Long Island Business Institute, 136-18 39th Avenue, Fifth Floor, Flushing, NY 11354. Long Island Business Institute is a small school located in Flushing, New York. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 587 students. Long Island Business Institute has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated five and sixty-eight students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Ramapo, New York
Ramapo is situated in Rockland County, New York. It has a population of over 115,096, which has grown by 5.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Ramapo, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Ramapo are valued at $187,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-four new homes were built in Ramapo, down from two hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Ramapo are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 33 minutes. More than 34.5% of Ramapo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Ramapo is 6.6%, which is less than New York's average of 8.7%. About 16.3% of Ramapo's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Ramapo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 82.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Wesley Chapel and Saint Vincent De Paul Church are all churches located in Ramapo. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the United Methodist Church.
Ramapo is home to the Kanes Open Camp and the Cedar Hollow Country Club.