Career and Education Opportunities for CAD/CAM Specialists in Ramapo, New York
CAD/CAM Specialists can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Ramapo, New York area. There are currently 3,910 working CAD/CAM Specialists in New York; this should grow by 1% to about 3,960 working CAD/CAM Specialists in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for CAD/CAM Specialists, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 1.1% over the next eight years. CAD/CAM Specialists generally prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, and other engineering information.
The income of a CAD/CAM Specialist is about $22 per hour or $47,070 per year on average in New York. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $22 per hour or $46,640 per year on average. Earnings for CAD/CAM Specialists are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Drafting in New York and not quite as good as general Drafting category earnings nationally. CAD/CAM Specialists work in a variety of jobs, including: mechanical designer, design technician, and controls designer.
The Ramapo area is home to 136 schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Ramapo where you can get a degree as a CAD/CAM Specialist. The most common level of education for CAD/CAM Specialists is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree. It will take about two years to learn to be a CAD/CAM Specialist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: CAD/CAM Specialist
In general, CAD/CAM Specialists prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, and other engineering information.
CAD/CAM Specialists direct and consult other staff to lay out or detail components. They also modify and revise designs to fix operating deficiencies or to decrease production problems. Equally important, CAD/CAM Specialists have to lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components and machines. They are often called upon to develop detailed layout drawings and requirements for mechanical equipment and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment. They are expected to position instructions and comments onto drawings. Finally, CAD/CAM Specialists inspect and analyze specifications, sketches and related data to gauge factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
Every day, CAD/CAM Specialists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for CAD/CAM Specialists to check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials. They are often called upon to compute mathematical formulas to evolve and layout detailed requirements for components or machinery using computer-assisted equipment. They also lay out and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to define operation and maintenance of mechanical systems. They are sometimes expected to layout scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components. Somewhat less frequently, CAD/CAM Specialists are also expected to draw freehand sketches of designs, trace finished drawings onto designated paper for the reproduction of blueprints, and reproduce working drawings on copy machines.
And finally, they sometimes have to layout scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
Like many other jobs, CAD/CAM Specialists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Ramapo include:
- Architectural Drafter. Prepare detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect.
- Civil Draftsman. Prepare drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Civil Engineering Technician. Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Electronics Engineering Technician. Lay out, build, and modify developmental and production electronic components, parts, and systems, such as computer equipment, missile control instrumentation, electron tubes, and machine tool numerical controls, applying principles and theories of electronics, electrical circuitry, engineering mathematics, electronic and electrical testing, and physics. Usually work under direction of engineering staff.
- Equipment Engineering Technician. Apply electrical theory and related knowledge to test and modify developmental or operational electrical machinery and electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial or commercial plants and laboratories. Usually work under direction of engineering staff.
- Mechanical Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, and repair of such equipment as centralized heat, gas, and steam systems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: CAD/CAM Specialist Training
Anthem Institute-Parsippany - Parsippany, NJ
Anthem Institute-Parsippany, 959 Route 46 East, Parsippany, NJ 07054-3897. Anthem Institute-Parsippany is a small school located in Parsippany, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 439 students. Anthem Institute-Parsippany has a one to two year program in Mechanical Drafting and Mechanical Drafting CAD/CADD.
Bergen Community College - Paramus, NJ
Bergen Community College, 400 Paramus Rd, Paramus, NJ 07652-1595. Bergen Community College is a large college located in Paramus, New Jersey. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,283 students. Bergen Community College has an associate's degree program in Mechanical Drafting and Mechanical Drafting CAD/CADD which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing Professional - Technologist: ASME GDTP Certification provides the means to recognize proficiency in the understanding and application of the geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) principles expressed in the ASME Y14.
For more information, see the American Society of Mechanical Engineers International website.
Certified Transfer Station Technical Associate: This certification was developed to address the increased interest in transfer stations and provide transfer station managers and others the opportunity to learn more about transfer station design and operation.
For more information, see the Solid Waste Association of North America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Ramapo, New York
Ramapo is situated in Rockland County, New York. It has a population of over 115,096, which has grown by 5.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Ramapo, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Ramapo are valued at $187,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-four new homes were built in Ramapo, down from two hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Ramapo are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 33 minutes. More than 34.5% of Ramapo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Ramapo is 6.6%, which is less than New York's average of 8.7%. About 16.3% of Ramapo's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Ramapo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 82.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Wesley Chapel and Saint Vincent De Paul Church are all churches located in Ramapo. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the United Methodist Church.
Ramapo is home to the Kanes Open Camp and the Cedar Hollow Country Club.