Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in Ramapo, New York
Landscape architects can find many career and educational opportunities in the Ramapo, New York area. The national trend for landscape architects sees this job pool growing by about 19.7% over the next eight years. In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects earn about $29 per hour or $61,150 yearly on average in New York and about $28 hourly or $58,960 annually on average nationally. Incomes for landscape architects are not quite as good as in the overall category of Architecture in New York, and not quite as good as the overall Architecture category nationally. Landscape architects work in a variety of jobs, including: site planner, golf course designer, and environment friendly landscape designer.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Ramapo where you can study to be a landscape architect, among 136 schools of higher education total in the Ramapo area. Given that the most common education level for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Ramapo include:
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Civil Engineering Technician. Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Health, Safety, and Environment Manager. Plan, implement, and coordinate safety programs, requiring application of engineering principles and technology, to prevent or correct unsafe environmental working conditions.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
Columbia University in the City of New York - New York, NY
Columbia University in the City of New York, 116 St and Broadway, New York, NY 10027. Columbia University in the City of New York is a large university located in New York, New York. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,940 students and an admission rate of 11%. Columbia University in the City of New York has a master's degree program in Landscape Architecture which graduated thirteen students in 2008.
CUNY City College - New York, NY
CUNY City College, 160 Convent Ave, New York, NY 10031-9101. CUNY City College is a large college located in New York, New York. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 15,022 students and an admission rate of 42%. CUNY City College has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Landscape Architecture which graduated two and three students respectively in 2008.
Phone: (518) 474-3817
Website: NYS Education Department Office of the Professions NYS Board for Landscape Architecture
LOCATION INFORMATION: Ramapo, New York
Ramapo is situated in Rockland County, New York. It has a population of over 115,096, which has grown by 5.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Ramapo, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Ramapo are valued at $187,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-four new homes were built in Ramapo, down from two hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Ramapo are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 33 minutes. More than 34.5% of Ramapo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Ramapo is 6.6%, which is less than New York's average of 8.7%. About 16.3% of Ramapo's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Ramapo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 82.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Wesley Chapel and Saint Vincent De Paul Church are all churches located in Ramapo. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the United Methodist Church.
Ramapo is home to the Kanes Open Camp and the Cedar Hollow Country Club.