Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in Las Cruces, New Mexico
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for nursing professors in the Las Cruces, New Mexico area. In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $20 per hour or $59,310 per year in New Mexico, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for nursing professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in New Mexico, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as nursing professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: nurse practitioner, nurse educator, and cpr instructor .
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Las Cruces where you can study to be a nursing professor, among six schools of higher education total in the Las Cruces area. The most common level of education for nursing professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years training to become a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Las Cruces include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana, 3400 S Espina, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana is a medium sized university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,336 students. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated sixty-eight students in 2008.
Anamarc Educational Institute - El Paso, TX
Anamarc Educational Institute, 3210 Dyer, El Paso, TX 79930. Anamarc Educational Institute is a small school located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 550 students. Anamarc Educational Institute has a one to two year program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated thirty-eight students in 2008.
New Mexico State University-Main Campus - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Main Campus, 2850 Weddell Street, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Main Campus is a large university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,198 students and an admission rate of 61%. New Mexico State University-Main Campus has associate's degree, bachelor's degree, and master's degree programs in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated zero, 193, and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Las Cruces is situated in Dona Ana County, New Mexico. It has a population of over 91,865, which has grown by 23.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Las Cruces, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Las Cruces are valued at $133,900 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, six hundred thirty-two new homes were built in Las Cruces, down from nine hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Las Cruces are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, public administration, and construction. The average commute to work is about 18 minutes. More than 28.4% of Las Cruces residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Las Cruces is 5.6%, which is less than New Mexico's average of 7.5%.
The percentage of Las Cruces residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 77.3%, is more than both the national and state average. Mesilla Park Baptist Church, Greater Saint John Church of God in Christ and Valley View Baptist Church are among the churches located in Las Cruces. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Las Cruces is home to the Mesquite Street Original Townsite Historic District and the Walden Hall as well as Frenger Park and Preciado Park. Visitors to Las Cruces can choose from Scoggin Blue LLC, SpringHill Suites Las Cruces and Villa Del Telshor Apartments & Corporate Suites for temporary stays in the area.