Career and Education Opportunities for Tax Examiners in Las Cruces, New Mexico
Las Cruces, New Mexico provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for tax examiners. About 100 people are currently employed as tax examiners in New Mexico. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 16% to about 120 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for tax examiners are expected to grow by about 13.0%. Tax examiners generally determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
The income of a tax examiner is about $22 per hour or $47,710 yearly on average in New Mexico. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $23 per hour or $48,100 yearly on average. Tax examiners earn less than people working in the category of Accounting and Auditing generally in New Mexico and less than people in the Accounting and Auditing category nationally. Jobs in this field include: revenue agent, treasury agent, and estate tax examiner.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Las Cruces where you can study to be a tax examiner, among six schools of higher education total in the Las Cruces area. The most common level of education for tax examiners is some college courses. You can expect to spend a short time training to become a tax examiner if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Tax Examiner
In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data. They also maintain records for each case. Finally, tax examiners contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
Every day, tax examiners are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for tax examiners to notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issue a refund or request further payment. They are often called upon to collect taxes from individuals or businesses in line with prescribed laws and regulations. They also talk with taxpayers or their representatives to consider the issues and regulations involved in returns, and to deal with problems with returns. They are sometimes expected to send notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent. Somewhat less frequently, tax examiners are also expected to examine and analyze tax assets and liabilities to establish resolution of delinquent tax problems.
Tax examiners sometimes are asked to ready briefs, and help in searching and seizing records to ready charges and documentation for court cases. They also have to be able to enter tax return data into computers for processing And finally, they sometimes have to maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data.
Like many other jobs, tax examiners must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Las Cruces include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Tax Examiner Training
International Business College - El Paso, TX
International Business College, 5700 Cromo, El Paso, TX 79912. International Business College is a small college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 421 students. International Business College has a less than one year program in Accounting which graduated eleven students in 2008.
New Mexico State University-Main Campus - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Main Campus, 2850 Weddell Street, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Main Campus is a large university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,198 students and an admission rate of 61%. New Mexico State University-Main Campus has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Accounting which graduated sixty-four and twenty-five students respectively in 2008.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
Certified Fraud Examiner: The ACFE established and administers the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designation.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Las Cruces is situated in Dona Ana County, New Mexico. It has a population of over 91,865, which has grown by 23.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Las Cruces, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Las Cruces are valued at $133,900 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, six hundred thirty-two new homes were built in Las Cruces, down from nine hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Las Cruces are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, public administration, and construction. The average commute to work is about 18 minutes. More than 28.4% of Las Cruces residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Las Cruces is 5.6%, which is less than New Mexico's average of 7.5%.
The percentage of Las Cruces residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 77.3%, is more than both the national and state average. Mesilla Park Baptist Church, Greater Saint John Church of God in Christ and Valley View Baptist Church are among the churches located in Las Cruces. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Las Cruces is home to the Mesquite Street Original Townsite Historic District and the Walden Hall as well as Frenger Park and Preciado Park. Visitors to Las Cruces can choose from Scoggin Blue LLC, SpringHill Suites Las Cruces and Villa Del Telshor Apartments & Corporate Suites for temporary stays in the area.