Career and Education Opportunities for Credit Analysts in Las Cruces, New Mexico
Credit analyst career and educational opportunities abound in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The national trend for credit analysts sees this job pool growing by about 15.0% over the next eight years. In general, credit analysts analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money.
Credit analysts earn about $23 per hour or $49,280 per year on average in New Mexico and about $26 per hour or $55,250 per year on average nationally. Incomes for credit analysts are not quite as good as in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing in New Mexico, and not quite as good as the overall Accounting and Auditing category nationally. Credit analysts work in a variety of jobs, including: factorer, credit representative, and financial analyst.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Las Cruces where you can study to be a credit analyst, among six schools of higher education total in the Las Cruces area. The most common level of education for credit analysts is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a credit analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Credit Analyst
In general, credit analysts analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. They also prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
Credit analysts analyze credit data and financial statements to establish the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. They also compare liquidity and credit histories of establishments being evaluated with those of similar establishments in the same industries and geographic locations. Finally, credit analysts talk with credit associations and other business representatives to exchange credit data.
Every day, credit analysts are expected to be able to think through problems and come up with general rules. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they deal with basic arithmetic problems.
It is important for credit analysts to generate financial ratios, using computer programs, to review customers' financial status. They are often called upon to confer with customers to deal with complaints and verify financial and credit transactions. They also ready reports that include the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. They are sometimes expected to inspect individual or commercial customer files to pinpoint and decide on delinquent accounts for collection. Somewhat less frequently, credit analysts are also expected to analyze financial data such as income growth, quality of management, and market share to establish expected profitability of loans.
They also have to be able to analyze financial data such as income growth, quality of management, and market share to establish expected profitability of loans and evaluate customer records and recommend payment plans on the basis of earnings and purchase activity. And finally, they sometimes have to analyze credit data and financial statements to establish the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money.
Like many other jobs, credit analysts must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Las Cruces include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Credit Analyst Training
International Business College - El Paso, TX
International Business College, 5700 Cromo, El Paso, TX 79912. International Business College is a small college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 421 students. International Business College has a less than one year program in Accounting which graduated eleven students in 2008.
New Mexico State University-Main Campus - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Main Campus, 2850 Weddell Street, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Main Campus is a large university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,198 students and an admission rate of 61%. New Mexico State University-Main Campus has 2 areas of study related to Credit Analyst. They are:
- Accounting, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated sixty-four and twenty-five students respectively in 2008.
- Finance, bachelor's degree.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Las Cruces is situated in Dona Ana County, New Mexico. It has a population of over 91,865, which has grown by 23.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Las Cruces, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Las Cruces are valued at $133,900 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, six hundred thirty-two new homes were built in Las Cruces, down from nine hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Las Cruces are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, public administration, and construction. The average commute to work is about 18 minutes. More than 28.4% of Las Cruces residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Las Cruces is 5.6%, which is less than New Mexico's average of 7.5%.
The percentage of Las Cruces residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 77.3%, is more than both the national and state average. Mesilla Park Baptist Church, Greater Saint John Church of God in Christ and Valley View Baptist Church are among the churches located in Las Cruces. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Las Cruces is home to the Mesquite Street Original Townsite Historic District and the Walden Hall as well as Frenger Park and Preciado Park. Visitors to Las Cruces can choose from Scoggin Blue LLC, SpringHill Suites Las Cruces and Villa Del Telshor Apartments & Corporate Suites for temporary stays in the area.