Career and Education Opportunities for Computer Science Professors in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for computer science professors. Computer science professors generally teach courses in computer science.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $20 per hour or $59,310 per year in New Mexico, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for computer science professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in New Mexico, and better than the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as computer science professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: instructor, management information systems professor , and faculty member.
There are six schools within twenty-five miles of Albuquerque where you can study to be a computer science professor, among seventeen schools of higher education total in the Albuquerque area. The most common level of education for computer science professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years studying to be a computer science professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Computer Science Professor
In general, computer science professors teach courses in computer science. They also may specialize in a field of computer science.
Computer science professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, computer science professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations or assign this work to others. Finally, computer science professors supervise students' laboratory work.
Every day, computer science professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for computer science professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to act as advisers to student organizations. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. Somewhat less frequently, computer science professors are also expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
and serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, computer science professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Albuquerque include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Computer Science Professor Training
University of New Mexico-Valencia County Branch - Los Lunas, NM
University of New Mexico-Valencia County Branch, 280 La Entrada, Los Lunas, NM 87031-7633. University of New Mexico-Valencia County Branch is a small university located in Los Lunas, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,452 students. University of New Mexico-Valencia County Branch has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Computer and Information Sciences which graduated one and three students respectively in 2008.
Central New Mexico Community College - Albuquerque, NM
Central New Mexico Community College, 525 Buena Vista SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106. Central New Mexico Community College is a large college located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 24,690 students. Central New Mexico Community College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Information Science/Studies, associate's degree and two to four year which graduated twenty-one and fourteen students respectively in 2008.
- Computer Systems Analysis/Analyst, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated one and seventeen students respectively in 2008.
University of Phoenix-New Mexico Campus - Albuquerque, NM
University of Phoenix-New Mexico Campus, 5700 Pasadena NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113-1570. University of Phoenix-New Mexico Campus is a small university located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 3,303 students. University of Phoenix-New Mexico Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Computer Programming/Programmer which graduated one student in 2008.
University of New Mexico-Main Campus - Albuquerque, NM
University of New Mexico-Main Campus, , Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001. University of New Mexico-Main Campus is a large university located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 24,105 students and an admission rate of 71%. University of New Mexico-Main Campus has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated eighteen, twenty, and five students respectively in 2008.
- Computer Science, post-master's certificate which graduated 4 students in 2008.
Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute - Albuquerque, NM
Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute, 9169 Coors Rd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87120-3101. Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute is a small school located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 451 students. Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, associate's degree.
- Computer Science, associate's degree.
College of Santa Fe at Albuquerque - Albuquerque, NM
College of Santa Fe at Albuquerque, 4501 Indian School Rd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110. College of Santa Fe at Albuquerque is a small college located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 761 students and an admission rate of 100%. College of Santa Fe at Albuquerque has a bachelor's degree program in Computer Science which graduated seventeen students in 2008.
Internet and Computing Core Certification: IC is the ideal starting point for anyone interested in learning computer and Internet basics.
For more information, see the Certiport, Inc website.
Certified Technical Trainer: CompTIA CTT+ is an international, vendor-neutral certification that covers core instructor skills, including preparation, presentation, communication, facilitation and evaluation in both a classroom and virtual classroom environment.
For more information, see the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) website.
Microsoft Certified Professional Developer: For individuals who wish to distinguish themselves as an expert in Windows development, Web application development, or enterprise applications development.
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
Microsoft Certified Application Developer: Demonstrate your ability to build applications by using Microsoft Visual Studio .
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) credential validates your ability to manage and troubleshoot network environments in the Windows operating system.
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Albuquerque is situated in Bernalillo County, New Mexico. It has a population of over 521,999, which has grown by 16.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Albuquerque, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Albuquerque cost $176,100 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, 1,067 new homes were built in Albuquerque, down from 2,096 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Albuquerque are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 31.8% of Albuquerque residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Albuquerque is 6.9%, which is less than New Mexico's average of 7.5%.
The percentage of Albuquerque residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 54.7%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Heights Seventh Day Adventist Church, Hope Church and Baptist Student Union are some of the churches located in Albuquerque. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Non-Charismatic Churches Independent.
Albuquerque is home to the Menaul School Historic District and the Volcano Ranch as well as Cutler Park and Eunice Kaloch Park. Shopping centers in the area include Del Norte Parkade Shopping Center, Westway Shopping Center and Winrock Shopping Center. Visitors to Albuquerque can choose from Winrock Inn-Best Western, New Mexico State Government - Health Department- Behavioral Health Services Divi and Motel 6 for temporary stays in the area.