Career and Education Opportunities for Order Fillers in Elizabeth, New Jersey
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for order fillers in the Elizabeth, New Jersey area. There are currently 58,500 jobs for order fillers in New Jersey and this is projected to shrink 10% to about 52,500 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for order fillers are expected to grow by about 7.2%. In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms.
The income of an order filler is about $9 per hour or $20,620 annually on average in New Jersey. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $10 per hour or $20,800 yearly on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Dispatching and Logistics, people working as order fillers in New Jersey earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Dispatching and Logistics nationally.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Elizabeth where you can study to be an order filler, among 298 schools of higher education total in the Elizabeth area. Given that the most common education level for order fillers is less than a high school diploma, you can expect to spend only a short time training to become an order filler if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Order Filler
In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. They also duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
Order fillers obtain products from bins or shelves. Finally, order fillers read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Every day, order fillers are expected to be able to read and understand documents and reports. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for order fillers to requisition additional materials and equipment. They are often called upon to compute prices of items or groups of items. They also keep archives of out-going orders. They are sometimes expected to complete order receipts. Somewhat less frequently, order fillers are also expected to complete order receipts.
and place products on conveyors leading to wrapping areas. And finally, they sometimes have to read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Like many other jobs, order fillers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Elizabeth include:
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Freight Representative. Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Order Filler Training
CUNY Kingsborough Community College - Brooklyn, NY
CUNY Kingsborough Community College, 2001 Oriental Blvd, Brooklyn, NY 11235-2398. CUNY Kingsborough Community College is a large college located in Brooklyn, New York. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 16,117 students. CUNY Kingsborough Community College has an associate's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated eighteen students in 2008.
Pace University-New York - New York, NY
Pace University-New York, 1 Pace Plaza, New York, NY 10038-1598. Pace University-New York is a large university located in New York, New York. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,229 students and an admission rate of 78%. Pace University-New York has a bachelor's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
Certified Materials & Resource Professional: CMRP status provides both internal and external rewards.
For more information, see the Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Elizabeth, New Jersey
Elizabeth is situated in Union County, New Jersey. It has a population of over 124,755, which has grown by 3.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Elizabeth, 140, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Elizabeth are valued at $321,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, eight new homes were constructed in Elizabeth, up from six the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Elizabeth are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and other transportation, and support activities, and couriers. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 12.1% of Elizabeth residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Elizabeth is 12.4%, which is greater than New Jersey's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Elizabeth residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.5%, is more than both the national and state average. First Pentecostal Church, Christ Episcopal Church and Alliance International Fellowship Church are some of the churches located in Elizabeth. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the American Baptist Churches in the USA.
Elizabeth is home to the North Elizabeth Station and the Julian Station as well as Kellogg Park and Jackson Park. Visitors to Elizabeth can choose from Hampton Inn Newark-Airport, Centro America Express and Hilton Newark Airport for temporary stays in the area.