Career and Education Opportunities for Set and Exhibit Designers in Manchester, New Hampshire
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for set and exhibit designers in the Manchester, New Hampshire area. The national trend for set and exhibit designers sees this job pool growing by about 16.6% over the next eight years. Set and exhibit designers generally design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets.
The average wage in the general category of Art and Design jobs is $22 per hour or $44,876 per year in New Hampshire, and an average of $22 per hour or $46,166 per year nationwide. People working as set and exhibit designers can fill a number of jobs, such as: presentation specialist, designer, and exhibit designer.
There are forty-two schools of higher education in the Manchester area, including two within twenty-five miles of Manchester where you can get a degree to start your career as a set and exhibit designer. Given that the most common education level for set and exhibit designers is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a set and exhibit designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Set and Exhibit Designer
In general, set and exhibit designers design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. They also may study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
Set and exhibit designers estimate set- or exhibit-related costs including materials and rental of props or locations. They also direct and schedule construction, erection, or decoration efforts in order to insure that sets or exhibits meet layout and schedule requirements. Equally important, set and exhibit designers have to talk with clients and staff so as to gather data related to exhibit space, proposed themes and content and/or promotion requirements. They are often called upon to acquire, or manage acquisition of, specimens or graphics required to finish exhibits. They are expected to submit plans for approval, and adapt plans to serve intended purposes, or to conform to budget or fabrication restrictions. Finally, set and exhibit designers design for location-specific issues such as space limitations, traffic flow patterns, and safety concerns.
Every day, set and exhibit designers are expected to be able to visualize how things come together and can be organized. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for set and exhibit designers to layout and produce displays and materials that can be used to decorate windows or event locations such as streets and fairgrounds. They are often called upon to direct the removal of sets and exhibits after productions or events are complete. They also research architectural and stylistic elements appropriate to the time period to be depicted, consulting experts for data as needed. They are sometimes expected to decide on and purchase lumber and hardware needed for set construction. Somewhat less frequently, set and exhibit designers are also expected to observe sets during rehearsals in order to insure that set elements do not interfere with performance aspects such as cast movement and camera angles.
and design set designs on the basis of evaluation of scripts and available locations. And finally, they sometimes have to ready rough drafts and scale working drawings of sets, including floor plans and properties to be constructed.
Like many other jobs, set and exhibit designers must believe in innovation and creative thought and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Manchester include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Photographer. Photograph persons, subjects, or other commercial products. May develop negatives and produce finished prints.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Set and Exhibit Designer Training
Northern Essex Community College - Haverhill, MA
Northern Essex Community College, 100 Elliott Street, Haverhill, MA 01830-2399. Northern Essex Community College is a medium sized college located in Haverhill, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,020 students. Northern Essex Community College has an associate's degree program in Design and Visual Communications which graduated ten students in 2008.
Fitchburg State College - Fitchburg, MA
Fitchburg State College, 160 Pearl St, Fitchburg, MA 01420-2697. Fitchburg State College is a medium sized college located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,400 students and an admission rate of 66%. Fitchburg State College has 2 areas of study related to Set and Exhibit Designer. They are:
- Design and Visual Communications, bachelor's degree which graduated 16 students in 2008.
- Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Manchester, New Hampshire
Manchester is situated in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire. It has a population of over 108,586, which has grown by 1.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Manchester, 120, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Manchester are valued at $138,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, eighty-eight new homes were constructed in Manchester, down from ninety-four the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Manchester are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 22.3% of Manchester residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Manchester is 7.6%, which is greater than New Hampshire's average of 6.5%.
The percentage of Manchester residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Bethel Christian Fellowship Church, Saint Pauls United Methodist Church and Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church are among the churches located in Manchester. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Church of Christ and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
Manchester is home to the Spaulding House and the New Hampshire Youth Development Center as well as Derryfield Park and Crystal Lake Park. Shopping malls in the area include Hampshire Plaza Shopping Center, The Mall of New Hampshire and Second Street Shoppes Shopping Center. Visitors to Manchester can choose from TAGE Inn & Suites, CNHParking and Firebird Motel for temporary stays in the area.