Career and Education Opportunities for Middle School Teachers in North Las Vegas, Nevada
North Las Vegas, Nevada provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for middle school teachers. There are currently 3,670 working middle school teachers in Nevada; this should grow 29% to 4,720 working middle school teachers in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for middle school teachers are expected to grow by about 15.3%. In general, middle school teachers teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
The average wage in the general category of Primary and Secondary School Education jobs is $10 per hour or $42,910 per year in Nevada, and an average of $11 per hour or $45,804 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education, people working as middle school teachers in Nevada earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education nationally. Jobs in this field include: algebra teacher, social studies teacher, and science teacher.
There are nineteen schools of higher education in the North Las Vegas area, including one within twenty-five miles of North Las Vegas where you can get a degree to start your career as a middle school teacher. The most common level of education for middle school teachers is a Bachelor's degree. It will take about four years to learn to be a middle school teacher if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Middle School Teacher
In general, middle school teachers teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
Middle school teachers attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees, as required. They also meet with other professionals to consider individual students' needs and progress. Equally important, middle school teachers have to establish and enforce rules for behavior and methods for maintaining order among students. They are often called upon to adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. They are expected to attend professional meetings and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence. Finally, middle school teachers instruct and monitor students in the use and up keep of equipment and materials to inhibit injury and damage.
Every day, middle school teachers are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for middle school teachers to sponsor extracurricular efforts such as clubs and academic contests. They are often called upon to organize and supervise games and other recreational activities to promote physical and social development. They also ready materials and classrooms for class efforts. They are sometimes expected to furnish disabled students with assistive devices and assistance accessing facilities, such as restrooms. Somewhat less frequently, middle school teachers are also expected to maintain accurate and correct student records as required by laws and administrative regulations.
Middle school teachers sometimes are asked to establish clear objectives for all lessons and projects, and communicate these objectives to students. They also have to be able to get ready for assigned classes and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors and meet with parents and guardians to consider their children's progress, and to establish their priorities for their children and their resource needs. And finally, they sometimes have to perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
Like many other jobs, middle school teachers must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in North Las Vegas include:
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Preschool Teacher. Instruct children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold State certification.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Middle School Teacher Training
University of Nevada-Las Vegas - Las Vegas, NV
University of Nevada-Las Vegas, 4505 S Maryland Pky, Las Vegas, NV 89154. University of Nevada-Las Vegas is a large university located in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,618 students and an admission rate of 73%. University of Nevada-Las Vegas has 4 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- English/Language Arts Teacher Education, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Health Teacher Education, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated four and twenty-five students respectively in 2008.
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated twenty, eleven, and two students respectively in 2008.
- Science Teacher Education/General Science Teacher Education, bachelor's degree.
LOCATION INFORMATION: North Las Vegas, Nevada
North Las Vegas is situated in Clark County, Nevada. It has a population of over 217,253, which has grown by 88.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in North Las Vegas, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in North Las Vegas cost $207,700 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, eight hundred thirty-four new homes were built in North Las Vegas, down from 2,365 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in North Las Vegas are accommodation and food services, arts, entertainment, and recreation, and health care. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and arts, entertainment, and recreation. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 10.2% of North Las Vegas residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in North Las Vegas is 14.3%, which is greater than Nevada's average of 12.6%.
The percentage of North Las Vegas residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 36.2%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
North Las Vegas is home to the Craig Ranch Country Club and the Craig Road Speedway as well as Valley View Park and Highland Valley Park. Shopping malls in the area include Cheyenne Shopping Center and College Park Shopping Center. Visitors to North Las Vegas can choose from Starlite Motel, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites and Texas Station for temporary stays in the area.