Career and Education Opportunities for Multi-Media Artist or Animators in Henderson, Nevada
There are many career and education opportunities for multi-media artist or animators in the Henderson, Nevada area. There are currently 390 jobs for multi-media artist or animators in Nevada and this is projected to grow by 26% to 490 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for multi-media artist or animators, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.2% over the next eight years. In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Multi-media artist or animators earn about $26 per hour or $54,920 yearly on average in Nevada and about $27 hourly or $56,330 annually on average nationally. Incomes for multi-media artist or animators are better than in the overall category of Art and Design in Nevada, and better than the overall Art and Design category nationally. Jobs in this field include: media/instructional designer, illustrator, and compositor.
The Henderson area is home to nineteen schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Henderson where you can get a degree as a multi-media artist or animator. Multi-media artist or animators usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a multi-media artist or animator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Multi-Media Artist or Animator
In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Every day, multi-media artist or animators are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for multi-media artist or animators to layout complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment and computer equipment. They are often called upon to make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion. They also develop pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured or animated by computer. They are sometimes expected to develop basic designs and illustrations for product labels or television. Somewhat less frequently, multi-media artist or animators are also expected to use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
Multi-media artist or animators sometimes are asked to develop and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood and clay. and implement and maintain configuration control systems. And finally, they sometimes have to implement and maintain configuration control systems.
Like many other jobs, multi-media artist or animators must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Henderson include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Multi-Media Artist or Animator Training
University of Nevada-Las Vegas - Las Vegas, NV
University of Nevada-Las Vegas, 4505 S Maryland Pky, Las Vegas, NV 89154. University of Nevada-Las Vegas is a large university located in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,618 students and an admission rate of 73%. University of Nevada-Las Vegas has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated two students in 2008.
College of Southern Nevada - Las Vegas, NV
College of Southern Nevada, 6375 W. Charleston Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89146-1164. College of Southern Nevada is a large college located in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 27,035 students. College of Southern Nevada has 3 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated one and eight students respectively in 2008.
- Graphic Design, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated three and twelve students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Henderson - Henderson, NV
ITT Technical Institute-Henderson, 168 N Gibson Rd, Henderson, NV 89014. ITT Technical Institute-Henderson is a small school located in Henderson, Nevada. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,008 students and an admission rate of 47%. ITT Technical Institute-Henderson has 2 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects, bachelor's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 36 students in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Henderson, Nevada
Henderson is located in Clark County, Nevada. It has a population of over 252,064, which has grown by 43.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Henderson, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Henderson are valued at $135,800 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, 1,063 new homes were constructed in Henderson, down from 2,224 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Henderson are accommodation and food services, arts, entertainment, and recreation, and health care. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and arts, entertainment, and recreation. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 23.7% of Henderson residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Henderson is 10.7%, which is less than Nevada's average of 12.6%.
The percentage of Henderson residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 36.2%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Henderson is home to the Amargosa Substation and the Las Vegas Downs as well as Henderson City Park and O'Callaghan Park. Shopping malls in the area include Boulder - Lake Mead Shopping Center and Lake Mead Shopping Center. Visitors to Henderson can choose from The Ritz-Carlton Lake Las Vegas, Railroad Pass Hotel & Casino and Fuego for temporary stays in the area.