Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Lincoln, Nebraska
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for craftsmen in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
The average wage in the general category of Art and Design jobs is $17 per hour or $34,657 per year in Nebraska, and an average of $22 per hour or $46,166 per year nationwide. People working as craftsmen can fill a number of jobs, such as: jewelry designer, luthier, and kinetic sculpture artist.
The Lincoln area is home to twenty-five schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Lincoln where you can get a degree as a craftsman. The most common level of education for craftsmen is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lincoln include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
Concordia University - Seward, NE
Concordia University, 800 N Columbia Ave, Seward, NE 68434-1556. Concordia University is a small university located in Seward, Nebraska. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,344 students and an admission rate of 68%. Concordia University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated one student in 2008.
Creighton University - Omaha, NE
Creighton University, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, NE 68178. Creighton University is a medium sized university located in Omaha, Nebraska. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,059 students and an admission rate of 79%. Creighton University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies.
Doane College - Crete, NE
Doane College, 1014 Boswell, Crete, NE 68333. Doane College is a small college located in Crete, Nebraska. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 900 students and an admission rate of 75%. Doane College has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies.
University of Nebraska at Omaha - Omaha, NE
University of Nebraska at Omaha, 6001 Dodge St, Omaha, NE 68182-0225. University of Nebraska at Omaha is a large university located in Omaha, Nebraska. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,213 students and an admission rate of 84%. University of Nebraska at Omaha has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated one student in 2008.
Nebraska Wesleyan University - Lincoln, NE
Nebraska Wesleyan University, 5000 St Paul Ave, Lincoln, NE 68504-2794. Nebraska Wesleyan University is a small university located in Lincoln, Nebraska. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,081 students and an admission rate of 80%. Nebraska Wesleyan University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lincoln, Nebraska
Lincoln is situated in Lancaster County, Nebraska. It has a population of over 251,624, which has grown by 11.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lincoln, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Lincoln cost $170,100 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, five hundred thirty-nine new homes were constructed in Lincoln, down from eight hundred twenty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Lincoln are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, educational services, and public administration. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 33.3% of Lincoln residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lincoln is 4.1%, which is less than Nebraska's average of 4.5%.
The percentage of Lincoln residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.4%, is less than both the national and state average. Saint John Baptist Church, Calvary Baptist Church and Calvary Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lincoln. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Methodist Church and the Lutheran Church.
Lincoln is home to the Cedars Home and the AGP Grain Cooperative Elevator as well as Abel Stadium and 40th and Highway 2 Park. Shopping malls in the area include Gateway Mall, Sutter Place Mall and Edgewood Shopping Center. Visitors to Lincoln can choose from Comfort Suites, Ramada Limited North and Quality Inn Airport for temporary stays in the area.