Career and Education Opportunities for Broker Assistants in Missoula, Montana
Broker assistants can find many career and educational opportunities in the Missoula, Montana area. The national trend for broker assistants sees this job pool shrinking by about 2.6% over the next eight years. In general, broker assistants perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities.
Income for broker assistants is about $12 per hour or $26,750 yearly on average in Montana. Nationally, their income is about $18 hourly or $38,710 per year. Compared with people working in the overall category of Clerical, people working as broker assistants in Montana earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Clerical nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Missoula where you can study to be a broker assistant, among two schools of higher education total in the Missoula area. Given that the most common education level for broker assistants is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a broker assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Broker Assistant
In general, broker assistants perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. They also duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
Broker assistants file and operate standard office machines. Finally, broker assistants correspond with customers and talk with coworkers to respond to inquiries, consider market fluctuations, and resolve account problems.
Every day, broker assistants are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for broker assistants to record and document security transactions, such as purchases and payments, using computers or certificate archives. They are often called upon to schedule and direct transfer and delivery of security certificates between companies and customers. They also ready forms, such as receipts and transfer confirmations, on the basis of transaction requests from stockholders. Somewhat less frequently, broker assistants are also expected to ready reports summarizing daily transactions and earnings for individual customer accounts.
Broker assistants sometimes are asked to compute total holdings and commissions and allocate appropriate payments to customers. They also have to be able to correspond with customers and talk with coworkers to respond to inquiries, consider market fluctuations, and resolve account problems And finally, they sometimes have to monitor daily stock prices and compute fluctuations to establish the need for additional collateral to secure loans.
Like many other jobs, broker assistants must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Missoula include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Receptionist. Answer inquiries and obtain information for general public, customers, and other interested parties. Provide information regarding activities conducted at establishment; location of departments, offices, and employees within organization.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Broker Assistant Training
The University of Montana - Missoula, MT
The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana, Missoula, MT 59812. The University of Montana is a large university located in Missoula, Montana. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,176 students and an admission rate of 96%. The University of Montana has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eight students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Missoula, Montana
Missoula is located in Missoula County, Montana. It has a population of over 68,202, which has grown by 19.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Missoula, 100, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Missoula cost $89,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred eighty-six new homes were constructed in Missoula, down from two hundred ninety-three the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Missoula are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 14 minutes. More than 38.0% of Missoula residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Missoula is 5.1%, which is less than Montana's average of 5.8%.
The percentage of Missoula residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 32.4%, is less than both the national and state average. University Congregational Church, Unity Church of Missoula and United Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Missoula. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Missoula is home to the Health Sciences Building and the KOA El-Mar Kampground as well as Vietnam Veterans Memorial and Fort Missoula Park. Shopping malls in the area include East Gate Shopping Center, Southgate Mall and Town and Country Shopping Center. Visitors to Missoula can choose from Best Western Grant Creek Inn, Comfort Inn Missoula and Sleepy Inn Motel for temporary stays in the area.