Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Kansas City, Missouri
Payroll machine operators can find many career and educational opportunities in the Kansas City, Missouri area. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Payroll machine operators generally operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
The income of a payroll machine operator is about $13 hourly or $28,780 annually on average in Missouri. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $14 hourly or $30,950 per year on average. Earnings for payroll machine operators are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Missouri and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
There are six schools within twenty-five miles of Kansas City where you can study to be a payroll machine operator, among seventy-one schools of higher education total in the Kansas City area. Given that the most common education level for payroll machine operators is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Kansas City include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
Kansas City Kansas Community College Technical Education Center - Kansas City, KS
Kansas City Kansas Community College Technical Education Center, 2220 N 59th St, Kansas City, KS 66104-2821. Kansas City Kansas Community College Technical Education Center is a small college located in Kansas City, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 598 students. Kansas City Kansas Community College Technical Education Center has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated four students in 2008.
Metropolitan Community College-Maple Woods - Kansas City, MO
Metropolitan Community College-Maple Woods, 2601 NE Barry Rd, Kansas City, MO 64156. Metropolitan Community College-Maple Woods is a small college located in Kansas City, Missouri. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,549 students. Metropolitan Community College-Maple Woods has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two and two students respectively in 2008.
Johnson County Community College - Overland Park, KS
Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Blvd, Overland Park, KS 66210-1299. Johnson County Community College is a large college located in Overland Park, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,062 students. Johnson County Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three and eight students respectively in 2008.
Metropolitan Community College-Longview - Lees Summit, MO
Metropolitan Community College-Longview, 500 Longview Rd, Lees Summit, MO 64081-2105. Metropolitan Community College-Longview is a medium sized college located in Lees Summit, Missouri. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,848 students. Metropolitan Community College-Longview has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
Metropolitan Community College-Blue River - Independence, MO
Metropolitan Community College-Blue River, 20301 E 78 Hwy, Independence, MO 64057. Metropolitan Community College-Blue River is a small college located in Independence, Missouri. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,060 students. Metropolitan Community College-Blue River has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one, one, and one students respectively in 2008.
Northeast Kansas Technical Center - Atchison, KS
Northeast Kansas Technical Center, 1501 W Riley St, Atchison, KS 66002. Northeast Kansas Technical Center is a small school located in Atchison, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 284 students. Northeast Kansas Technical Center has a two to four year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated six students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Kansas City, Missouri
Kansas City is situated in Jackson County, Missouri. It has a population of over 451,572, which has grown by 2.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Kansas City, 78, is well below the national average.
The top three industries for women in Kansas City are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 25.7% of Kansas City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Kansas City is 11.3%, which is greater than Missouri's average of 8.9%.
The percentage of Kansas City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 51.2%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Glenwood Church, Antioch Church and Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary are among the churches located in Kansas City. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Kansas City is home to the Ozanam Boys Home and the Watts Mill Center as well as Central Park and West Terrace Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Shopping Center, Wornall Village Shopping Center and Winwood Shopping Center. Visitors to Kansas City can choose from Budget Host Inn, Days Inn and Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City Internatinl Arprt for temporary stays in the area.