Career and Education Opportunities for Fashion Designers in Kansas City, Missouri
Kansas City, Missouri provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for fashion designers. There are currently 130 jobs for fashion designers in Missouri and this is projected to grow by 9% to about 140 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for fashion designers are expected to grow by about 0.8%. In general, fashion designers design clothing and accessories.
The average wage in the general category of Art and Design jobs is $20 per hour or $40,884 per year in Missouri, and an average of $22 per hour or $46,166 per year nationwide. Jobs in this field include: uniform designer, latex fashions designer, and fashion director.
There are seventy-one schools of higher education in the Kansas City area, including three within twenty-five miles of Kansas City where you can get a degree to start your career as a fashion designer. Fashion designers usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so you can expect to spend about two years studying to be a fashion designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Fashion Designer
In general, fashion designers design clothing and accessories. They also create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends.
Fashion designers examine sample garments on and off models; then modify designs to produce desired effects. They also furnish sample garments to agents and sales representatives, and manage showings of sample garments at sales meetings or fashion shows. Equally important, fashion designers have to sketch rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and write specifications such as color schemes and accessory requirements. They are often called upon to visit textile showrooms to keep up-to-date on the latest fabrics. They are expected to attend fashion shows and review garment magazines and manuals so as to gather data related to fashion trends and consumer preferences. Finally, fashion designers direct and schedule staff involved in drawing and cutting patterns and constructing samples or finished garments.
Every day, fashion designers are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for fashion designers to collaborate with other designers to direct special products and designs. They are often called upon to decide on materials and production techniques to be used for products. They also adapt other designers' concepts for the mass market. They are sometimes expected to purchase new or used clothing and accessory items as needed to finish designs. Somewhat less frequently, fashion designers are also expected to test fabrics or oversee testing so that garment care labels can be created.
Fashion designers sometimes are asked to draw patterns for articles designed; then cut patterns, and cut material in line with patterns, using measuring instruments and scissors. They also have to be able to sew together sections of material to fashion mockups or samples of garments or articles, using sewing equipment And finally, they sometimes have to visit textile showrooms to keep up-to-date on the latest fabrics.
Like many other jobs, fashion designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Kansas City include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Fashion Designer Training
Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley - Kansas City, MO
Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley, 3201 SW Trafficway, Kansas City, MO 64111-2429. Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley is a small college located in Kansas City, Missouri. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,340 students. Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley has an associate's degree program in Apparel and Textile Manufacture which graduated three students in 2008.
Johnson County Community College - Overland Park, KS
Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Blvd, Overland Park, KS 66210-1299. Johnson County Community College is a large college located in Overland Park, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,062 students. Johnson County Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Fashion/Apparel Design which graduated zero and seven students respectively in 2008.
The Art Institutes InternationalKansas City - Lenexa, KS
The Art Institutes InternationalKansas City, 8202 Melrose Drive, Lenexa, KS 66214-1625. The Art Institutes InternationalKansas City is a small school located in Lenexa, Kansas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 70 students and an admission rate of 100%. The Art Institutes InternationalKansas City has a bachelor's degree program in Fashion/Apparel Design.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Kansas City, Missouri
Kansas City is situated in Jackson County, Missouri. It has a population of over 451,572, which has grown by 2.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Kansas City, 78, is well below the national average.
The top three industries for women in Kansas City are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 25.7% of Kansas City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Kansas City is 11.3%, which is greater than Missouri's average of 8.9%.
The percentage of Kansas City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 51.2%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Glenwood Church, Antioch Church and Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary are among the churches located in Kansas City. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Kansas City is home to the Ozanam Boys Home and the Watts Mill Center as well as Central Park and West Terrace Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Shopping Center, Wornall Village Shopping Center and Winwood Shopping Center. Visitors to Kansas City can choose from Budget Host Inn, Days Inn and Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City Internatinl Arprt for temporary stays in the area.