Career and Education Opportunities for Product Demonstrators in St. Paul, Minnesota
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for product demonstrators in the St. Paul, Minnesota area. About 1,860 people are currently employed as product demonstrators in Minnesota. By 2016, this is expected to grow 15% to about 2,140 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for product demonstrators are expected to grow by about 7.1%. In general, product demonstrators demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product.
Income for product demonstrators is about $11 per hour or $24,220 per year on average in Minnesota. Nationally, their income is about $11 hourly or $23,260 per year. Earnings for product demonstrators are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in Minnesota and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of St. Paul where you can study to be a product demonstrator, among seventy-seven schools of higher education total in the St. Paul area. Product demonstrators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a product demonstrator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Product Demonstrator
In general, product demonstrators demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. They also may sell demonstrated merchandise.
Product demonstrators furnish product samples and other incentives to convince people to buy products. They also record and report demonstration-related data such as the quantity of questions asked by the audience and the quantity of coupons distributed. Equally important, product demonstrators have to demonstrate and explain products, methods, or services so as to persuade clients to acquire products or utilize services. They are often called upon to suggest specific product purchases to meet clients' needs. They are expected to identify interested and qualified clients in order to furnish them with additional data. Finally, product demonstrators make ready and alter presentation contents to target specific audiences.
Every day, product demonstrators are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for product demonstrators to sell products being promoted, and keep records of sales. They are often called upon to work as part of a team of demonstrators to deal with large crowds. They also practice demonstrations to insure that they will run smoothly. They are sometimes expected to visit trade shows and other venues to exhibit products or services, and to respond to questions from potential clients. Somewhat less frequently, product demonstrators are also expected to train demonstrators to present a company's products or services.
Product demonstrators sometimes are asked to transport and disassemble materials used in presentations. They also have to be able to contact businesses and civic establishments to organize to exhibit and sell product And finally, they sometimes have to instruct clients in modification of products.
Like many other jobs, product demonstrators must be reliable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in St. Paul include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Product Demonstrator Training
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities - Minneapolis, MN
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, 100 Church Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455-0213. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is a large university located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 51,140 students and an admission rate of 53%. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities has a bachelor's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated fifty-two students in 2008.
Anoka-Ramsey Community College - Coon Rapids, MN
Anoka-Ramsey Community College, 11200 Mississippi Blvd. NW, Coon Rapids, MN 55433-3470. Anoka-Ramsey Community College is a medium sized college located in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,253 students. Anoka-Ramsey Community College has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: St. Paul, Minnesota
St. Paul is located in Ramsey County, Minnesota. It has a population of over 279,590, which has shrunk by 2.6% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in St. Paul, 99, is near the national average. New single-family homes in St. Paul are valued at $213,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, thirty new homes were built in St. Paul, down from seventy-four the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in St. Paul are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 21 minutes. More than 32.0% of St. Paul residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in St. Paul is 7.4%, which is greater than Minnesota's average of 7.0%.
The percentage of St. Paul residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 61.3%, is more than both the national and state average. Zion Church, Convent of the Visitation and Saint Paul Cathedral are some of the churches located in St. Paul. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Baptist General Conference.
St. Paul is home to the Saint Paul Orphange and the Wilder Center as well as Terrace Park and East View Playground.