Career and Education Opportunities for Office Machine Operators in St. Paul, Minnesota
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for office machine operators in the St. Paul, Minnesota area. Currently, 2,420 people work as office machine operators in Minnesota. This is expected to shrink by 10% to 2,170 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for office machine operators, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 7.6% over the next eight years. In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators earn about $13 per hour or $27,900 yearly on average in Minnesota and about $12 per hour or $25,780 per year on average nationally. Incomes for office machine operators are not quite as good as in the overall category of Secretarial in Minnesota, and not quite as good as the overall Secretarial category nationally.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of St. Paul where you can study to be an office machine operator, among seventy-seven schools of higher education total in the St. Paul area. Office machine operators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become an office machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Office Machine Operator
In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators sort and proof completed work. They also load machines with materials such as blank paper or film. Equally important, office machine operators have to monitor machine operation, and make adjustments as needed to insure proper operation. They are often called upon to place original copies in feed trays, feed originals into feed rolls, or position originals on tables beneath camera lenses. They are expected to operate auxiliary machines such as collators, pad and tablet making machines and paper punching, folding and perforating machines. Finally, office machine operators file and store completed documents.
Every day, office machine operators are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for office machine operators to complete archives of production, including work volumes and outputs and any backlogs. They are often called upon to deliver completed work. They also ready and process papers for use in scanning and microfiche. They are sometimes expected to clean and file master copies or plates. Somewhat less frequently, office machine operators are also expected to operate office machines such as high speed business photocopiers, reader/scanners, addressing machines, stencil-cutting machines, microfilm reader/printers, folding and inserting and binder machines.
and prepare and adjust machines, regulating factors such as speed and number of copies. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain stock of supplies, and requisition any needed items.
Like many other jobs, office machine operators must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in St. Paul include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Office Machine Operator Training
National American University-Bloomington - Bloomington, MN
National American University-Bloomington, 7801 Metro Parkway, Suite 200, Bloomington, MN 55425. National American University-Bloomington is a small university located in Bloomington, Minnesota. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 290 students. National American University-Bloomington has a one to two year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services.
Century Community and Technical College - White Bear Lake, MN
Century Community and Technical College, 3300 Century Ave N, White Bear Lake, MN 55110. Century Community and Technical College is a medium sized college located in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,384 students. Century Community and Technical College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Hennepin Technical College - Brooklyn Park, MN
Hennepin Technical College, 9000 Brooklyn Blvd, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445. Hennepin Technical College is a medium sized college located in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,617 students. Hennepin Technical College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated fifty-three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: St. Paul, Minnesota
St. Paul is located in Ramsey County, Minnesota. It has a population of over 279,590, which has shrunk by 2.6% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in St. Paul, 99, is near the national average. New single-family homes in St. Paul are valued at $213,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, thirty new homes were built in St. Paul, down from seventy-four the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in St. Paul are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 21 minutes. More than 32.0% of St. Paul residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in St. Paul is 7.4%, which is greater than Minnesota's average of 7.0%.
The percentage of St. Paul residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 61.3%, is more than both the national and state average. Zion Church, Convent of the Visitation and Saint Paul Cathedral are some of the churches located in St. Paul. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Baptist General Conference.
St. Paul is home to the Saint Paul Orphange and the Wilder Center as well as Terrace Park and East View Playground.