Career and Education Opportunities for Order Fillers in Rochester, Minnesota
There are many career and education opportunities for order fillers in the Rochester, Minnesota area. Currently, 35,680 people work as order fillers in Minnesota. This is expected to shrink by 11% to 31,840 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for order fillers are expected to grow by about 7.2%. Order fillers generally fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms.
Income for order fillers is about $10 hourly or $20,940 yearly on average in Minnesota. Nationally, their income is about $10 hourly or $20,800 annually. Earnings for order fillers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Dispatching and Logistics in Minnesota and not quite as good as general Dispatching and Logistics category earnings nationally.
There are seven schools of higher education in the Rochester area, including one within twenty-five miles of Rochester where you can get a degree to start your career as an order filler. The most common level of education for order fillers is less than a high school diploma. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be an order filler if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Order Filler
In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. They also duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
Order fillers obtain products from bins or shelves. Finally, order fillers read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Every day, order fillers are expected to be able to read and understand documents and reports. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for order fillers to requisition additional materials and equipment. They are often called upon to compute prices of items or groups of items. They also keep archives of out-going orders. They are sometimes expected to complete order receipts. Somewhat less frequently, order fillers are also expected to complete order receipts.
and place products on conveyors leading to wrapping areas. And finally, they sometimes have to read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Like many other jobs, order fillers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Rochester include:
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Freight Representative. Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Order Filler Training
Rochester Community and Technical College - Rochester, MN
Rochester Community and Technical College, 851 30th Ave SE, Rochester, MN 55904-4999. Rochester Community and Technical College is a medium sized college located in Rochester, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,977 students. Rochester Community and Technical College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated seven, three, and ten students respectively in 2008.
Certified Materials & Resource Professional: CMRP status provides both internal and external rewards.
For more information, see the Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Rochester, Minnesota
Rochester is located in Olmsted County, Minnesota. It has a population of over 100,413, which has grown by 17.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Rochester, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Rochester are priced at $233,700 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, two hundred eighty-seven new homes were constructed in Rochester, down from four hundred twenty the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Rochester are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is health care, computer and electronic products, and construction. The average commute to work is about 15 minutes. More than 38.1% of Rochester residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Rochester is 5.8%, which is less than Minnesota's average of 7.0%.
The percentage of Rochester residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 61.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Faith Family Church, Faith Harbor Church and Saint Francis Catholic Church are all churches located in Rochester. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Lutheran Church.
Rochester is home to the Soldiers Field Golf Course and the Guggenheim Building as well as Mohn Park and Manor Park. Shopping centers in the area include Apache Mall, Miracle Mile Shopping Center and Crossroads Shopping Center. Visitors to Rochester can choose from Best Western, Maria's and Econo Lodge Downtown for temporary stays in the area.