Career and Education Opportunities for Retail Salesmen in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for retail salesmen in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area. There are currently 83,280 jobs for retail salesmen in Minnesota and this is projected to grow 11% to about 92,630 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for retail salesmen, which sees this job pool growing by about 8.3% over the next eight years. In general, retail salesmen sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
The income of a retail salesman is about $9 per hour or $19,950 per year on average in Minnesota. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $9 per hour or $20,510 yearly on average. Earnings for retail salesmen are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in Minnesota and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
There are seven schools within twenty-five miles of Minneapolis where you can study to be a retail salesman, among eighty schools of higher education total in the Minneapolis area. The most common level of education for retail salesmen is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a retail salesman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Retail Salesman
In general, retail salesmen sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
Retail salesmen greet clients and ascertain what each customer wants or needs. They also describe products and explain use, operation, and up keep of products to clients. Equally important, retail salesmen have to recommend and help locate or obtain products on the basis of customer needs and desires. They are often called upon to maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices. They are expected to answer questions regarding stores and their products. Finally, retail salesmen ticket, arrange and display products to advance sales.
Every day, retail salesmen are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they speak clearly.
It is important for retail salesmen to inventory stock and requisition new stock. They are often called upon to watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to inhibit or handle these situations. They also demonstrate use or operation of product. They are sometimes expected to make ready sales slips or sales contracts. Somewhat less frequently, retail salesmen are also expected to estimate cost of repair or modification of product.
and maintain records pertaining to sales. And finally, they sometimes have to describe products and explain use, operation, and up keep of products to clients.
Like many other jobs, retail salesmen must be reliable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Minneapolis include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Rental Counter Clerk. Receive orders for repairs, rentals, and services. May describe available options, compute cost, and accept payment.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Retail Salesman Training
Anoka-Ramsey Community College - Coon Rapids, MN
Anoka-Ramsey Community College, 11200 Mississippi Blvd. NW, Coon Rapids, MN 55433-3470. Anoka-Ramsey Community College is a medium sized college located in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,253 students. Anoka-Ramsey Community College has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated three students in 2008.
Metropolitan State University - Saint Paul, MN
Metropolitan State University, 700 E Seventh St, Saint Paul, MN 55106-5000. Metropolitan State University is a medium sized university located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,909 students and an admission rate of 53%. Metropolitan State University has a bachelor's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated one student in 2008.
Inver Hills Community College - Inver Grove Heights, MN
Inver Hills Community College, 2500 80th St E, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076-3224. Inver Hills Community College is a medium sized college located in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,608 students. Inver Hills Community College has a less than one year program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated four students in 2008.
North Hennepin Community College - Brooklyn Park, MN
North Hennepin Community College, 7411 85th Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445. North Hennepin Community College is a medium sized college located in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,904 students. North Hennepin Community College has a less than one year program in Selling Skills and Sales Operations which graduated seven students in 2008.
Hennepin Technical College - Brooklyn Park, MN
Hennepin Technical College, 9000 Brooklyn Blvd, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445. Hennepin Technical College is a medium sized college located in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,617 students. Hennepin Technical College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management which graduated four and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities - Minneapolis, MN
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, 100 Church Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455-0213. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is a large university located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 51,140 students and an admission rate of 53%. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities has 2 areas of study related to Retail Salesman. They are:
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, bachelor's degree which graduated 43 students in 2008.
- Retailing and Retail Operations, bachelor's degree which graduated 52 students in 2008.
College of St Catherine - Saint Paul, MN
College of St Catherine, 2004 Randolph Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55105. College of St Catherine is a medium sized college located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,201 students and an admission rate of 77%. College of St Catherine has a bachelor's degree program in Selling Skills and Sales Operations which graduated seventeen students in 2008.
Certified Professional SalesPerson: Whether you're an experienced sales professional looking to take your career to the next level, or new to sales and looking to accelerate your learning curve and income, becoming a NASP Certified Professional SalesPerson (CPSP) will help you get there.
For more information, see the National Association of Sales Professionals website.
Automotive Sales Professional: This is a tremendous opportunity for everyone who has an interest in automotive sales to become a knowledgeable, ethical and customer-focused trained individual and enjoy great career success.
For more information, see the National Automobile Dealers Association website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
Hearing Instrument Dispenser Certification
Licensing agency: Health, Minnesota Dept. of
Address: Division of Health Policy and Systems Compliance, Minnesota Department of Health, 121 East Seventh Place or PO Box 64975, St. Paul, MN 55101
Phone: (651) 215-5800
Website: Health, Minnesota Dept. of Division of Health Policy and Systems Compliance Minnesota Department of Health
LOCATION INFORMATION: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis is situated in Hennepin County, Minnesota. It has a population of over 382,605. The cost of living index in Minneapolis, 101, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Minneapolis are priced at $451,300 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, forty-five new homes were constructed in Minneapolis, down from one hundred fifteen the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Minneapolis are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 37.4% of Minneapolis residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Minneapolis is 7.0%, which is the same as Minnesota's average of 7.0%.
The percentage of Minneapolis residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 57.7%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Methodist Church.
Minneapolis is home to the Saint Josephs Orphanage and the Hiawatha Municipal Golf Course as well as Beards Plaisance and Mississippi Park. Visitors to Minneapolis can choose from COE Mansion Carriage House, Radisson Hotel Metrodome and Best Western Kelly Inn for temporary stays in the area.