Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Detroit, Michigan
Detroit, Michigan provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for legal secretaries. Currently, 6,680 people work as legal secretaries in Michigan. This is expected to grow 8% to 7,250 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for legal secretaries are expected to grow by about 18.4%. Legal secretaries generally perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
Legal secretaries earn about $20 per hour or $42,530 annually on average in Michigan and about $19 per hour or $39,860 annually on average nationally. Legal secretaries earn more than people working in the category of Secretarial generally in Michigan and more than people in the Secretarial category nationally.
The Detroit area is home to seventy-three schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Detroit where you can get a degree as a legal secretary. Legal secretaries usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so you can expect to spend about two years training to become a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Detroit include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
Dorsey Business Schools - Roseville, MI
Dorsey Business Schools, 31542 Gratiot, Roseville, MI 48066. Dorsey Business Schools is a small school located in Roseville, Michigan. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 459 students. Dorsey Business Schools has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated seven students in 2008.
Dorsey Business Schools - Southgate, MI
Dorsey Business Schools, 15755 Northline Rd, Southgate, MI 48195. Dorsey Business Schools is a small school located in Southgate, Michigan. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 215 students. Dorsey Business Schools has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated one student in 2008.
Dorsey Business Schools - Madison Heights, MI
Dorsey Business Schools, 30821 Barrington, Madison Heights, MI 48071. Dorsey Business Schools is a small school located in Madison Heights, Michigan. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 216 students. Dorsey Business Schools has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
Monroe County Community College - Monroe, MI
Monroe County Community College, 1555 South Raisinville Road, Monroe, MI 48161-9746. Monroe County Community College is a small college located in Monroe, Michigan. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,514 students. Monroe County Community College has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Detroit, Michigan
Detroit is located in Wayne County, Michigan. It has a population of over 912,062, which has shrunk by 4.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Detroit, 86, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Detroit are priced at $108,900 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, eighty-five new homes were built in Detroit, down from one hundred fifty-four the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Detroit are health care, educational services, and transportation equipment. For men, it is transportation equipment, construction, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 11.0% of Detroit residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Detroit is 27.0%, which is greater than Michigan's average of 14.3%.
The percentage of Detroit residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.7%, is less than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the Lutheran Church.
Detroit is home to the Memorial Park Marina and the Detroit Golf Club as well as Chene Park and Mallett Playground. Visitors to Detroit can choose from Corktown Inn, Clark's Motel and Days Inn of Downtown Detroit for temporary stays in the area.