Career and Education Opportunities for Fine Artists in Worcester, Massachusetts
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for fine artists in the Worcester, Massachusetts area. There are currently 940 working fine artists in Massachusetts; this should grow 5% to 990 working fine artists in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for fine artists are expected to grow by about 9.0%. In general, fine artists create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
Income for fine artists is about $18 per hour or $39,260 per year on average in Massachusetts. Nationally, their income is about $20 per hour or $42,650 per year. Earnings for fine artists are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Massachusetts and not quite as good as general Art and Design category earnings nationally. Fine artists work in a variety of jobs, including: artist blacksmith, apprentice, painter, landscape, and medical artist.
The Worcester area is home to thirty-nine schools of higher education, including nine within twenty-five miles of Worcester where you can get a degree as a fine artist. Fine artists usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so it will take about four years to learn to be a fine artist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Fine Artist
In general, fine artists create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
Fine artists talk with clients and other interested parties regarding the nature and content of artwork to be produced. They also study different techniques to learn how to apply them to artistic endeavors. Equally important, fine artists have to maintain portfolios of artistic work to exhibit styles and abilities. They are often called upon to submit preliminary or finished artwork or project plans to clients for approval, incorporating changes as needed. Finally, fine artists monitor events and other circumstances, research specific subject areas, attend art exhibitions, and read art publications in order to optimize concepts and keep current on art world efforts.
Every day, fine artists are expected to be able to distinguish between colors. They need to be creative and generate new ideas. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for fine artists to integrate and design visual elements, such as line and perspective, so as to produce desired effects such as the illustration of concepts or moods. They are often called upon to use materials such as pens and ink or computer software to generate artwork. They also cut and fasten individual or mixed raw and manufactured materials and products to fashion works of art. They are sometimes expected to develop finished art work as decoration, or to elucidate or substitute for spoken or written messages. Somewhat less frequently, fine artists are also expected to develop sketches or likenesses of posed subjects or photographs, using any combination of freehand drawing, mechanical assembly kits, and computer imaging.
Fine artists sometimes are asked to furnish entertainment at special events by performing efforts such as drawing cartoons. They also have to be able to model substances such as clay or wax, using fingers and small hand tools to fashion objects and shade and fill in sketch outlines and backgrounds, using a variety of media such as water colors and transparent washes, labeling designated colors when needed. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish entertainment at special events by performing efforts such as drawing cartoons.
Like many other jobs, fine artists must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Worcester include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
- Writer. Create original written works.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Fine Artist Training
Middlesex Community College - Bedford, MA
Middlesex Community College, Springs Rd, Bedford, MA 01730-9124. Middlesex Community College is a medium sized college located in Bedford, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,511 students. Middlesex Community College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Fine/Studio Arts which graduated zero, one, and ten students respectively in 2008.
Anna Maria College - Paxton, MA
Anna Maria College, 50 Sunset Lane, Paxton, MA 01612-1198. Anna Maria College is a small college located in Paxton, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,333 students and an admission rate of 89%. Anna Maria College has 2 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated zero and one students respectively in 2008.
- Fine Arts and Art Studies, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Framingham State College - Framingham, MA
Framingham State College, 100 State Street, Framingham, MA 01701-9101. Framingham State College is a medium sized college located in Framingham, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,603 students and an admission rate of 56%. Framingham State College has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated twenty-three students in 2008.
College of the Holy Cross - Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross, One College Street, Worcester, MA 01610-2395. College of the Holy Cross is a small college located in Worcester, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,898 students and an admission rate of 34%. College of the Holy Cross has a bachelor's degree program in Visual and Performing Arts which graduated five students in 2008.
Mount Wachusett Community College - Gardner, MA
Mount Wachusett Community College, 444 Green St, Gardner, MA 01440-1000. Mount Wachusett Community College is a small college located in Gardner, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,385 students. Mount Wachusett Community College has an associate's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated eleven students in 2008.
University of Massachusetts-Lowell - Lowell, MA
University of Massachusetts-Lowell, 1 University Ave, Lowell, MA 01854-5104. University of Massachusetts-Lowell is a large university located in Lowell, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,931 students and an admission rate of 71%. University of Massachusetts-Lowell has 2 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Fine/Studio Arts, bachelor's degree which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Fine Arts and Art Studies, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree.
Assumption College - Worcester, MA
Assumption College, 500 Salisbury St, Worcester, MA 01609-1296. Assumption College is a small college located in Worcester, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,888 students and an admission rate of 71%. Assumption College has a bachelor's degree program in Visual and Performing Arts which graduated one student in 2008.
Clark University - Worcester, MA
Clark University, 950 Main St, Worcester, MA 01610-1477. Clark University is a small university located in Worcester, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,330 students and an admission rate of 56%. Clark University has a bachelor's degree program in Fine/Studio Arts which graduated seven students in 2008.
Atlantic Union College - South Lancaster, MA
Atlantic Union College, 338 Main St, South Lancaster, MA 01561-1000. Atlantic Union College is a small college located in South Lancaster, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 384 students. Atlantic Union College has 3 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, associate's degree and bachelor's degree.
- Fine/Studio Arts, bachelor's degree.
- Medical Illustration/Medical Illustrator, bachelor's degree.
Certification of Medical Illustrators: The Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators administers a certification program for illustrators who seek a recognizable means of credentialing.
For more information, see the Association of Medical Illustrators website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Worcester, Massachusetts
Worcester is located in Worcester County, Massachusetts. It has a population of over 175,011, which has grown by 1.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Worcester, 121, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Worcester cost $108,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, sixty-one new homes were constructed in Worcester, down from two hundred fourteen the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Worcester are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is educational services, construction, and health care. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 23.3% of Worcester residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Worcester is 9.9%, which is greater than Massachusetts's average of 8.4%.
The percentage of Worcester residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 57.4%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Burncoat Baptist Church, United Congregational Church and Unitarian Universalist Church are among the churches located in Worcester. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Church of Christ and the Episcopal Church.
Worcester is home to the Tatnuck Country Club and the Massachusetts Biotech Research Park as well as Ty Cobb Park and General Foley Stadium. Shopping malls in the area include Lincoln Plaza Shopping Center, Mid Town Mall and Norwich Place Shopping Center. Visitors to Worcester can choose from Days Inn, Hampton Inn and Maple Manor Hotel for temporary stays in the area.