Career and Education Opportunities for Cage Cashiers in Boston, Massachusetts
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for cage cashiers in the Boston, Massachusetts area. The national trend for cage cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money.
The average wage in the general category of Sales and Clerical jobs is $24 per hour or $50,885 per year in Massachusetts, and an average of $20 per hour or $41,244 per year nationwide.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Boston where you can study to be a cage cashier, among 151 schools of higher education total in the Boston area. The most common level of education for cage cashiers is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a cage cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cage Cashier
In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. They also may issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine.
Cage cashiers count money and audit money drawers. Finally, cage cashiers exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients.
Every day, cage cashiers are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for cage cashiers to keep accurate records of monetary exchanges and transaction reconciliations. They are often called upon to work in and monitor an assigned area on the casino floor where slot machines are located. They also listen for jackpot alarm bells and issue payoffs to winners. They are sometimes expected to exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients. Somewhat less frequently, cage cashiers are also expected to furnish change persons with a money bank at the start of each shift.
They also have to be able to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players And finally, they sometimes have to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players.
Like many other jobs, cage cashiers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Boston include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cage Cashier Training
Simmons College - Boston, MA
Simmons College, 300 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115-5898. Simmons College is a small college located in Boston, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,933 students and an admission rate of 55%. Simmons College has a bachelor's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated two students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Boston, Massachusetts
Boston is situated in Suffolk County, Massachusetts. It has a population of over 609,023, which has grown by 3.4% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Boston, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Boston are valued at $216,200 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, twenty-three new homes were constructed in Boston, down from forty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Boston are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 35.6% of Boston residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Boston is 8.2%, which is less than Massachusetts's average of 8.4%.
The percentage of Boston residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 60.0%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Brighton Congregational Church, Leslie Lindsay Chapel and Universalist Meeting House are some of the churches located in Boston. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the Episcopal Church.
Boston is home to the Metropolitan Water Works Pumping Stations and the Mystic Pier 1 as well as Schoolboy Stadium and Liberty Square. Shopping centers in the area include Legion Shopping Center, Longwood Galleria Shopping Center and Neponset Circle Shopping Center. Visitors to Boston can choose from Federalist Restaurant, Eco-Logical Solutions and Omni Parker Hotel for temporary stays in the area.