Career and Education Opportunities for Dentists in Boston, Massachusetts
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for dentists in the Boston, Massachusetts area. There are currently 2,830 working dentists in Massachusetts; this should grow 4% to about 2,930 working dentists in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for dentists are expected to grow by about 15.3%. In general, dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures.
A person working as a dentist can expect to earn about $68 hourly or $142,330 annually on average in Massachusetts and about $68 per hour or $142,870 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for dentists are better than earnings in the general category of Dental in Massachusetts and better than general Dental category earnings nationally. People working as dentists can fill a number of jobs, such as: treatment coordinator, dental medicine doctor , and general dentist.
The Boston area is home to 151 schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Boston where you can get a degree as a dentist. Given that the most common education level for dentists is a Doctoral degree, you can expect to spend four or five years studying to be a dentist if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Dentist
In general, dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. They also may treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
Dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures, and furnish preventive and corrective services. They also use masks, gloves and safety glasses to safeguard themselves and their patients from infectious diseases. Equally important, dentists have to examine teeth and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, and other diagnostic apparatus, to review dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments. They are often called upon to formulate plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue. They are expected to use air turbine and hand instruments, dental appliances and surgical implements. Finally, dentists oversee business, employing and supervising staff and handling paperwork and insurance claims.
Every day, dentists are expected to be able to maintain precise control of objects and devices through a range of movements. They need to piece together evidence to, in some sense, diagnose what is going on in a situation. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for dentists to fill pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials. They are often called upon to perform oral and periodontal surgery on the jaw or mouth. They also produce and evaluate dental health educational materials. They are sometimes expected to administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures. Somewhat less frequently, dentists are also expected to advise and instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services.
Dentists sometimes are asked to advise and instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services. They also have to be able to oversee business, employing and supervising staff and handling paperwork and insurance claims and treat exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments. And finally, they sometimes have to analyze and evaluate dental needs to establish changes and trends in patterns of dental disease.
Like many other jobs, dentists must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Boston include:
- Dental Hygienist. Clean teeth and examine oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. May educate patients on oral hygiene, take and develop X-rays, or apply fluoride or sealants.
- Emergency Medical Technician. Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
- Medical Laboratory Technician. Perform routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. May work under the supervision of a medical technologist.
- Optometrist. Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
- Orthodontist. Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Dentist Training
Tufts University - Medford, MA
Tufts University, , Medford, MA 02155-5555. Tufts University is a large university located in Medford, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 9,821 students and an admission rate of 25%. Tufts University has 4 areas of study related to Dentist. They are:
- Dentistry, professional degree which graduated 169 students in 2008.
- Dental Clinical Sciences, master's degree which graduated 8 students in 2008.
- Advanced General Dentistry, professional certificate which graduated 14 students in 2008.
- Pediatric Dentistry/Pedodontics, professional certificate which graduated 8 students in 2008.
Harvard University - Cambridge, MA
Harvard University, Massachusetts Hall, Cambridge, MA 02138. Harvard University is a large university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,800 students and an admission rate of 8%. Harvard University has 3 areas of study related to Dentist. They are:
- Dentistry, doctor's degree which graduated 40 students in 2008.
- Advanced General Dentistry, master's degree and post-master's certificate which graduated fourteen and forty students respectively in 2008.
- Oral Biology and Oral Pathology, doctor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Boston University - Boston, MA
Boston University, One Silber Way, Boston, MA 02215. Boston University is a large university located in Boston, Massachusetts. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 31,669 students and an admission rate of 59%. Boston University has 6 areas of study related to Dentist. They are:
- Dentistry, professional degree which graduated 169 students in 2008.
- Dental Clinical Sciences, master's degree, post-master's certificate, and professional certificate.
- Advanced General Dentistry, postbaccalaureate certificate, post-master's certificate, and professional certificate which graduated zero, thirteen, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Oral Biology and Oral Pathology, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, post-master's certificate, doctor's degree, and professional certificate which graduated zero, eight, zero, eight, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Dental Public Health & Education, master's degree, post-master's certificate, doctor's degree, and professional certificate which graduated two, one, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Pediatric Dentistry/Pedodontics, master's degree, post-master's certificate, doctor's degree, and professional certificate which graduated zero, eight, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Boston, Massachusetts
Boston is situated in Suffolk County, Massachusetts. It has a population of over 609,023, which has grown by 3.4% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Boston, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Boston are valued at $216,200 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, twenty-three new homes were constructed in Boston, down from forty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Boston are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 35.6% of Boston residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Boston is 8.2%, which is less than Massachusetts's average of 8.4%.
The percentage of Boston residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 60.0%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Brighton Congregational Church, Leslie Lindsay Chapel and Universalist Meeting House are some of the churches located in Boston. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the Episcopal Church.
Boston is home to the Metropolitan Water Works Pumping Stations and the Mystic Pier 1 as well as Schoolboy Stadium and Liberty Square. Shopping centers in the area include Legion Shopping Center, Longwood Galleria Shopping Center and Neponset Circle Shopping Center. Visitors to Boston can choose from Federalist Restaurant, Eco-Logical Solutions and Omni Parker Hotel for temporary stays in the area.