Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Portland, Maine
If you want to be a payroll machine operator, the Portland, Maine area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Payroll machine operators generally operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
Payroll machine operators earn about $13 hourly or $28,250 yearly on average in Maine and about $14 per hour or $30,950 per year on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Billing and Bookkeeping, people working as payroll machine operators in Maine earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Billing and Bookkeeping nationally.
The Portland area is home to twenty-three schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Portland where you can get a degree as a payroll machine operator. Payroll machine operators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Portland include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
Central Maine Community College - Auburn, ME
Central Maine Community College, 1250 Turner Street, Auburn, ME 04210-6498. Central Maine Community College is a small college located in Auburn, Maine. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,426 students. Central Maine Community College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Portland, Maine
Portland is situated in Cumberland County, Maine. It has a population of over 62,561, which has shrunk by 2.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Portland, 102, is above the national average. New single-family homes in Portland are priced at $164,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, twenty-three new homes were built in Portland, down from thirty-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Portland are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, accommodation and food services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 19 minutes. More than 36.4% of Portland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Portland is 6.3%, which is less than Maine's average of 7.6%. About 14.1% of Portland's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Portland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 40.4%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Mariners Church, Swedenborgian Church and Stroudwater Christian Church are among the churches located in Portland. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Church of Christ and the United Methodist Church.
Portland is home to the Cumberland Wharf and the Browns Wharf as well as Longfellow Square and Hadlock Field. Shopping centers in the area include Mill Creek Shopping Center, Monument Square Shopping Center and Portland East Shopping Center. Visitors to Portland can choose from Motel 6, Fairfield Inn Portland Airport and Ramada Limited Portland for temporary stays in the area.