Career and Education Opportunities for Historians in Lewiston, Maine
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for historians in the Lewiston, Maine area. The national trend for historians sees this job pool growing by about 11.5% over the next eight years. Historians generally research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
The average wage in the general category of Social Sciences jobs is $28 per hour or $58,507 per year in Maine, and an average of $33 per hour or $68,239 per year nationwide. People working as historians can fill a number of jobs, such as: genealogist, researcher, and professor.
There are ten schools of higher education in the Lewiston area, including three within twenty-five miles of Lewiston where you can get a degree to start your career as a historian. The most common level of education for historians is a post-Master's certificate. You can expect to spend little over two years training to become a historian if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or a short time starting with a Master's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Historian
In general, historians research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
Historians trace historical development in a particular field, such as social or diplomatic history. They also gather historical data from sources such as archives and photographs, as well as collect data sources such as books and periodicals. Equally important, historians have to conduct historical research, and publish or present findings and theories. They are often called upon to organize data, and analyze and interpret its authenticity and relative significance. They are expected to organize data for publication and for other means of dissemination. Finally, historians collect detailed data on individuals for use in biographies.
Every day, historians are expected to be able to write clearly and communicate well. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for historians to teach and conduct research in colleges and other research agencies and schools. They are often called upon to speak to various groups, organizations, and clubs so as to promote the aims and efforts of historical societies. They also present historical accounts in terms of individuals or social or geographic groupings. They are sometimes expected to advise or confer with individuals and institutions regarding issues such as the historical authenticity of materials or the customs of a specific historical period. Somewhat less frequently, historians are also expected to recommend actions pertaining to historical art.
Historians sometimes are asked to edit historical society publications. and conduct historical research as a basis for the identification and reconstruction of historic places and materials. And finally, they sometimes have to direct efforts of staff working on cataloging and filing materials.
Like many other jobs, historians must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewiston include:
- Archaeologist. Conduct research to reconstruct record of past human life and culture from human remains, artifacts, and structures recovered through excavation, underwater recovery, or other means of discovery.
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Historian Training
Bates College - Lewiston, ME
Bates College, 2 Andrews Road, Lewiston, ME 04240. Bates College is a small college located in Lewiston, Maine. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,776 students and an admission rate of 29%. Bates College has 2 areas of study related to Historian. They are:
- Ancient Studies/Civilization, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- History, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Bowdoin College - Brunswick, ME
Bowdoin College, 5700 College Station - President's Office, Brunswick, ME 04011-8448. Bowdoin College is a small college located in Brunswick, Maine. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,723 students and an admission rate of 19%. Bowdoin College has 3 areas of study related to Historian. They are:
- Ancient Studies/Civilization, bachelor's degree.
- Classical, Ancient Mediterranean & Near Eastern Studies & Archaeology, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- History, bachelor's degree which graduated 8 students in 2008.
Saint Joseph's College of Maine - Standish, ME
Saint Joseph's College of Maine, 278 Whites Bridge Rd, Standish, ME 04084-5236. Saint Joseph's College of Maine is a small college located in Standish, Maine. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,771 students and an admission rate of 78%. Saint Joseph's College of Maine has a bachelor's degree program in History which graduated five students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewiston, Maine
Lewiston is located in Androscoggin County, Maine. It has a population of over 35,131, which has shrunk by 1.6% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewiston, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewiston are valued at $166,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, thirty-two new homes were constructed in Lewiston, up from twenty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Lewiston are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 19 minutes. More than 12.6% of Lewiston residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewiston is 8.5%, which is greater than Maine's average of 7.6%. About 15.5% of Lewiston's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Lewiston residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 49.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Holy Cross Catholic Church, Spirit of Fire Evangelistic Church and Amazing Grace Mission are some of the churches located in Lewiston. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the United Methodist Church.
Lewiston is home to the Lewiston City Hall and the Stanton Museum as well as Thorncrag Bird Sanctuary and Elliot Little League Ball Fields. Shopping centers in the area include Shaws Plaza Center Shopping Center, North Wood Park Shopping Center and The Market Place Shopping Center. Visitors to Lewiston can choose from Motel 6, Maine Motel And Cabins and Dudley's for temporary stays in the area.