Career and Education Opportunities for Market Research Analysts in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Market research analyst career and educational opportunities abound in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Currently, 870 people work as market research analysts in Louisiana. This is expected to grow 23% to about 1,060 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for market research analysts, which sees this job pool growing by about 28.1% over the next eight years. In general, market research analysts research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service.
Market research analysts earn about $18 per hour or $38,860 annually on average in Louisiana and about $29 per hour or $61,070 yearly on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Social Sciences, people working as market research analysts in Louisiana earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Social Sciences nationally. Market research analysts work in a variety of jobs, including: product marketing engineer, market research worker, and strategist.
The Baton Rouge area is home to thirty-six schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Baton Rouge where you can get a degree as a market research analyst. Market research analysts usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a market research analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Research Analyst
In general, market research analysts research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. They also may gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution.
Market research analysts ready reports of findings, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. They also monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature. Equally important, market research analysts have to collect and analyze data on customer demographics and buying habits to pinpoint potential markets and factors affecting product demand. They are often called upon to gather data on competitors and analyze their prices and methods of marketing and distribution. They are expected to seek and furnish data to help companies decide on their position in the marketplace. Finally, market research analysts attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
Every day, market research analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for market research analysts to measure the effectiveness of marketing and communications programs and strategies. They are often called upon to design and implement processes for identifying advertising needs. They also direct trained survey interviewers. Somewhat less frequently, market research analysts are also expected to attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
And finally, they sometimes have to measure and assess customer and employee satisfaction.
Like many other jobs, market research analysts must have exceptional integrity and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Baton Rouge include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Research Analyst Training
Southern University and A & M College - Baton Rouge, LA
Southern University and A & M College, Southern Branch Post Office, Baton Rouge, LA 70813. Southern University and A & M College is a medium sized university located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,699 students and an admission rate of 55%. Southern University and A & M College has a bachelor's degree program in Business/Managerial Economics which graduated three students in 2008.
Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College - Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College, , Baton Rouge, LA 70803-2750. Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College is a large university located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,810 students and an admission rate of 73%. Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College has 2 areas of study related to Market Research Analyst. They are:
- Economics, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated thirty-five, six, and one students respectively in 2008.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 13 students in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Baton Rouge is situated in East Baton Rouge Parish County, Louisiana. It has a population of over 223,689, which has shrunk by 1.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Baton Rouge, 86, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Baton Rouge are priced at $189,100 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirty-five new homes were built in Baton Rouge, down from two hundred fifty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Baton Rouge are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 31.7% of Baton Rouge residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Baton Rouge is 7.1%, which is the same as Louisiana's average of 7.1%.
The percentage of Baton Rouge residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 52.7%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Hughes United Methodist Church and Straight Life Baptist Church are all churches located in Baton Rouge. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Baton Rouge is home to the Baton Rouge Industrial Park and the Baton Rouge Country Club as well as Howell Park and Independence Park. Shopping centers in the area include Carriage Alley Shopping Center, Sherwood Plaza Shopping Center and Foret and McCall Shopping Center. Visitors to Baton Rouge can choose from Pines Motel, Motel 6 and Shoneys Inn & Suites Baton Rouge for temporary stays in the area.