Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky
There are many career and education opportunities for legislators in the Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky area. The national trend for legislators sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $31 per hour or $64,368 per year in Kentucky, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Jobs in this field include: assembly member, congressman, and tribal council member.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Lexington-Fayette where you can study to be a legislator, among twenty-two schools of higher education total in the Lexington-Fayette area.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lexington-Fayette include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Kentucky State University - Frankfort, KY
Kentucky State University, 400 East Main Street, Frankfort, KY 40601. Kentucky State University is a small university located in Frankfort, Kentucky. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,660 students and an admission rate of 31%. Kentucky State University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated eight and one students respectively in 2008.
Eastern Kentucky University - Richmond, KY
Eastern Kentucky University, 521 Lancaster Ave, Richmond, KY 40475-3102. Eastern Kentucky University is a large university located in Richmond, Kentucky. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 16,050 students and an admission rate of 69%. Eastern Kentucky University has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated nine students in 2008.
University of Kentucky - Lexington, KY
University of Kentucky, , Lexington, KY 40506-0032. University of Kentucky is a large university located in Lexington, Kentucky. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 26,083 students and an admission rate of 77%. University of Kentucky has a master's degree and a doctor's degree program in Public Administration which graduated fifteen and four students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky
Lexington-Fayette is located in Fayette County, Kentucky. It has a population of over 282,114, which has grown by 8.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Lexington-Fayette, 84, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Lexington-Fayette are valued at $167,600 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, seven hundred seventy-one new homes were built in Lexington-Fayette, down from 1,227 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Lexington-Fayette are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 19 minutes. More than 35.6% of Lexington-Fayette residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 14.5%, is higher than the state average.
The percentage of Lexington-Fayette residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 47.3%, is less than both the national and state average. Victory Baptist Church, Aldersgate Church and Trinity Hill United Methodist Church are all churches located in Lexington-Fayette. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lexington-Fayette is home to the Tates Creek Country Club and the Home of Henry Clay as well as Kentucky State Horse Park and Duncan Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fayette Mall, Turfland Mall and Lexington Mall.