Career and Education Opportunities for Broker Assistants in Wichita, Kansas
If you want to be a broker assistant, the Wichita, Kansas area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for broker assistants sees this job pool shrinking by about 2.6% over the next eight years. Broker assistants generally perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities.
Broker assistants earn about $14 hourly or $30,870 per year on average in Kansas and about $18 per hour or $38,710 annually on average nationally. Incomes for broker assistants are better than in the overall category of Clerical in Kansas, and better than the overall Clerical category nationally.
There are nineteen schools of higher education in the Wichita area, including one within twenty-five miles of Wichita where you can get a degree to start your career as a broker assistant. Broker assistants usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so it will take about four years to learn to be a broker assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Broker Assistant
In general, broker assistants perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. They also duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
Broker assistants file and operate standard office machines. Finally, broker assistants correspond with customers and talk with coworkers to respond to inquiries, consider market fluctuations, and resolve account problems.
Every day, broker assistants are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for broker assistants to record and document security transactions, such as purchases and payments, using computers or certificate archives. They are often called upon to schedule and direct transfer and delivery of security certificates between companies and customers. They also ready forms, such as receipts and transfer confirmations, on the basis of transaction requests from stockholders. Somewhat less frequently, broker assistants are also expected to ready reports summarizing daily transactions and earnings for individual customer accounts.
Broker assistants sometimes are asked to compute total holdings and commissions and allocate appropriate payments to customers. They also have to be able to correspond with customers and talk with coworkers to respond to inquiries, consider market fluctuations, and resolve account problems And finally, they sometimes have to monitor daily stock prices and compute fluctuations to establish the need for additional collateral to secure loans.
Like many other jobs, broker assistants must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Wichita include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
- Store Clerk. Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise. Stock shelves, racks, and tables with merchandise and arrange merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and mark merchandise.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Broker Assistant Training
Hutchinson Community College - Hutchinson, KS
Hutchinson Community College, 1300 N Plum St, Hutchinson, KS 67501. Hutchinson Community College is a small college located in Hutchinson, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,853 students. Hutchinson Community College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eight students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Wichita, Kansas
Wichita is located in Sedgwick County, Kansas. It has a population of over 366,046, which has grown by 6.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Wichita, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Wichita cost $106,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,012 new homes were constructed in Wichita, down from 1,248 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Wichita are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is transportation equipment, construction, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 18 minutes. More than 25.3% of Wichita residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Wichita is 8.8%, which is greater than Kansas's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Wichita residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 46.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Mizpah Baptist Church, Christ the King Lutheran Church and Christ the King Roman Catholic Church are some of the churches located in Wichita. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Wichita is home to the Pleasant Valley and the Wichita Plaza as well as Hyde Park and Watson Park. Shopping centers in the area include Central Heights Shopping Mall, Airpark Shopping Center and Sweetbriar Shopping Center. Visitors to Wichita can choose from Afton Motel, Hampton Inn Wichita-East and Corral Motel for temporary stays in the area.