Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in Wichita, Kansas
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for nursing professors in the Wichita, Kansas area. Nursing professors generally demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $22 per hour or $54,474 per year in Kansas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for nursing professors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Kansas and not quite as good as general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. Nursing professors work in a variety of jobs, including: dean, instructor, and nurse's aides teacher.
The Wichita area is home to nineteen schools of higher education, including eight within twenty-five miles of Wichita where you can get a degree as a nursing professor. Nursing professors usually hold a Master's degree, so it will take about six years to learn to be a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Wichita include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
Newman University - Wichita, KS
Newman University, 3100 McCormick Ave, Wichita, KS 67213-2097. Newman University is a small university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,435 students and an admission rate of 49%. Newman University has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree which graduated 40 students in 2008.
- Nurse Anesthetist, master's degree which graduated 12 students in 2008.
Hesston College - Hesston, KS
Hesston College, 301 South Main, Hesston, KS 67062-2093. Hesston College is a small college located in Hesston, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 425 students. Hesston College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated forty-three students in 2008.
National American University-Wichita - Wichita, KS
National American University-Wichita, 7309 E 21st St. N. Suite G40, Wichita, KS 67206. National American University-Wichita is a small university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 134 students. National American University-Wichita has a bachelor's degree program in Nursing, Other Specialties.
Wichita State University - Wichita, KS
Wichita State University, 1845 Fairmount, Wichita, KS 67260-0124. Wichita State University is a large university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,405 students and an admission rate of 86%. Wichita State University has bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and post-master's certificate programs in Nursing Science which graduated 123, zero, thirty-five, and three students respectively in 2008.
Butler Community College - El Dorado, KS
Butler Community College, 901 S Haverhill Rd, El Dorado, KS 67042-3280. Butler Community College is a medium sized college located in El Dorado, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,190 students. Butler Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated eighty-six and 108 students respectively in 2008.
Hutchinson Community College - Hutchinson, KS
Hutchinson Community College, 1300 N Plum St, Hutchinson, KS 67501. Hutchinson Community College is a small college located in Hutchinson, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,853 students. Hutchinson Community College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated sixty-eight students in 2008.
Southwestern College - Winfield, KS
Southwestern College, 100 College St, Winfield, KS 67156-6224. Southwestern College is a small college located in Winfield, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,800 students and an admission rate of 90%. Southwestern College has a bachelor's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated twenty-two students in 2008.
Bethel College - North Newton, KS
Bethel College, 300 E 27th St, North Newton, KS 67117-0531. Bethel College is a small college located in North Newton, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 501 students and an admission rate of 75%. Bethel College has a bachelor's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Wichita, Kansas
Wichita is located in Sedgwick County, Kansas. It has a population of over 366,046, which has grown by 6.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Wichita, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Wichita cost $106,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,012 new homes were constructed in Wichita, down from 1,248 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Wichita are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is transportation equipment, construction, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 18 minutes. More than 25.3% of Wichita residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Wichita is 8.8%, which is greater than Kansas's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Wichita residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 46.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Mizpah Baptist Church, Christ the King Lutheran Church and Christ the King Roman Catholic Church are some of the churches located in Wichita. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Wichita is home to the Pleasant Valley and the Wichita Plaza as well as Hyde Park and Watson Park. Shopping centers in the area include Central Heights Shopping Mall, Airpark Shopping Center and Sweetbriar Shopping Center. Visitors to Wichita can choose from Afton Motel, Hampton Inn Wichita-East and Corral Motel for temporary stays in the area.