Career and Education Opportunities for Computer Science Professors in Wichita, Kansas
There are many career and education opportunities for computer science professors in the Wichita, Kansas area. Computer science professors generally teach courses in computer science.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $22 per hour or $54,474 per year in Kansas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for computer science professors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Kansas and better than general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. Computer science professors work in a variety of jobs, including: instructor, technology coordinator, and computer applications instructor.
There are nineteen schools of higher education in the Wichita area, including eight within twenty-five miles of Wichita where you can get a degree to start your career as a computer science professor. Given that the most common education level for computer science professors is a Master's degree, it will take about six years to learn to be a computer science professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Computer Science Professor
In general, computer science professors teach courses in computer science. They also may specialize in a field of computer science.
Computer science professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, computer science professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations or assign this work to others. Finally, computer science professors supervise students' laboratory work.
Every day, computer science professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for computer science professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to act as advisers to student organizations. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. Somewhat less frequently, computer science professors are also expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
and serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, computer science professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Wichita include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Computer Science Professor Training
Vatterott College-Wichita - Wichita, KS
Vatterott College-Wichita, 8853 E. 37th Street N., Wichita, KS 67226. Vatterott College-Wichita is a small college located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 163 students. Vatterott College-Wichita has a one to two year program in Computer Programming/Programmer which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
Newman University - Wichita, KS
Newman University, 3100 McCormick Ave, Wichita, KS 67213-2097. Newman University is a small university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,435 students and an admission rate of 49%. Newman University has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Information Science/Studies which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Wichita State University - Wichita, KS
Wichita State University, 1845 Fairmount, Wichita, KS 67260-0124. Wichita State University is a large university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,405 students and an admission rate of 86%. Wichita State University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Computer and Information Sciences which graduated one and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
Butler Community College - El Dorado, KS
Butler Community College, 901 S Haverhill Rd, El Dorado, KS 67042-3280. Butler Community College is a medium sized college located in El Dorado, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,190 students. Butler Community College has an associate's degree program in Computer Programming/Programmer which graduated two students in 2008.
Friends University - Wichita, KS
Friends University, 2100 W. University Ave., Wichita, KS 67213. Friends University is a small university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,801 students and an admission rate of 70%. Friends University has 3 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, bachelor's degree which graduated 22 students in 2008.
- Computer Programming/Programmer, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Information Science/Studies, bachelor's degree.
Hutchinson Community College - Hutchinson, KS
Hutchinson Community College, 1300 N Plum St, Hutchinson, KS 67501. Hutchinson Community College is a small college located in Hutchinson, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,853 students. Hutchinson Community College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated four and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Computer Systems Analysis/Analyst, associate's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
Southwestern College - Winfield, KS
Southwestern College, 100 College St, Winfield, KS 67156-6224. Southwestern College is a small college located in Winfield, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,800 students and an admission rate of 90%. Southwestern College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer Programming/Programmer, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Computer Science, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
Bethel College - North Newton, KS
Bethel College, 300 E 27th St, North Newton, KS 67117-0531. Bethel College is a small college located in North Newton, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 501 students and an admission rate of 75%. Bethel College has a bachelor's degree program in Computer Science.
Internet and Computing Core Certification: IC is the ideal starting point for anyone interested in learning computer and Internet basics.
For more information, see the Certiport, Inc website.
Certified Technical Trainer: CompTIA CTT+ is an international, vendor-neutral certification that covers core instructor skills, including preparation, presentation, communication, facilitation and evaluation in both a classroom and virtual classroom environment.
For more information, see the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) website.
Microsoft Certified Professional Developer: For individuals who wish to distinguish themselves as an expert in Windows development, Web application development, or enterprise applications development.
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
Microsoft Certified Application Developer: Demonstrate your ability to build applications by using Microsoft Visual Studio .
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) credential validates your ability to manage and troubleshoot network environments in the Windows operating system.
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Wichita, Kansas
Wichita is located in Sedgwick County, Kansas. It has a population of over 366,046, which has grown by 6.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Wichita, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Wichita cost $106,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,012 new homes were constructed in Wichita, down from 1,248 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Wichita are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is transportation equipment, construction, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 18 minutes. More than 25.3% of Wichita residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Wichita is 8.8%, which is greater than Kansas's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Wichita residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 46.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Mizpah Baptist Church, Christ the King Lutheran Church and Christ the King Roman Catholic Church are some of the churches located in Wichita. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Wichita is home to the Pleasant Valley and the Wichita Plaza as well as Hyde Park and Watson Park. Shopping centers in the area include Central Heights Shopping Mall, Airpark Shopping Center and Sweetbriar Shopping Center. Visitors to Wichita can choose from Afton Motel, Hampton Inn Wichita-East and Corral Motel for temporary stays in the area.