Career and Education Opportunities for Writers in Wichita, Kansas
There are many career and education opportunities for writers in the Wichita, Kansas area. The national trend for writers sees this job pool growing by about 14.8% over the next eight years. In general, writers create original written works.
Income for writers is about $18 hourly or $38,070 yearly on average in Kansas. Nationally, their income is about $25 hourly or $53,070 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Writing and Editing, people working as writers in Kansas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Writing and Editing nationally. Writers work in a variety of jobs, including: librettist, business writer, and song lyricist.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Wichita where you can study to be a writer, among nineteen schools of higher education total in the Wichita area. Given that the most common education level for writers is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a writer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Writer
In general, writers create original written works.
Writers revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers. They also choose subject matter and suitable form to express personal feelings and experiences or concepts, or to narrate stories or events. Equally important, writers have to formulate project arrangements or outlines, and organize material accordingly. They are often called upon to collaborate with other writers on specific projects. They are expected to ready works in appropriate format for publication, and send them to publishers or producers. Finally, writers talk with clients or producers to consider changes or revisions to written material.
Every day, writers are expected to be able to write clearly and communicate well. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for writers to conduct research to obtain factual data and authentic detail, using sources such as newspaper accounts and interviews. They are often called upon to follow appropriate procedures to get copyrights for completed work. They also attend book launches and publicity events, or conduct public readings. They are sometimes expected to design factors such as themes and dialogue, to generate material. Somewhat less frequently, writers are also expected to collaborate with other writers on specific projects.
Writers sometimes are asked to teach writing classes. And finally, they sometimes have to revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers.
Like many other jobs, writers must be persistant in the face of problems and impediments and want to innovate to meet new challenges.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Wichita include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Copy Writer. Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
- Editorial Specialist. Perform variety of editorial duties, such as laying out, indexing, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for final publication.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- News Analyst. Analyze, interpret, and broadcast news received from various sources.
- Radio and Television Announcer. Talk on radio or television. May interview guests, act as master of ceremonies, read news flashes, identify station by giving call letters, or announce song title and artist.
- Reporter. Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation. Report and write stories for newspaper, news magazine, or television.
- Singer. Sing songs on stage, radio, or motion pictures.
- Technical Writer. Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Writer Training
Wichita State University - Wichita, KS
Wichita State University, 1845 Fairmount, Wichita, KS 67260-0124. Wichita State University is a large university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,405 students and an admission rate of 86%. Wichita State University has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 72 students in 2008.
- Creative Writing, master's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
Hutchinson Community College - Hutchinson, KS
Hutchinson Community College, 1300 N Plum St, Hutchinson, KS 67501. Hutchinson Community College is a small college located in Hutchinson, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,853 students. Hutchinson Community College has an associate's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated three students in 2008.
Southwestern College - Winfield, KS
Southwestern College, 100 College St, Winfield, KS 67156-6224. Southwestern College is a small college located in Winfield, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,800 students and an admission rate of 90%. Southwestern College has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Creative Writing, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Bethel College - North Newton, KS
Bethel College, 300 E 27th St, North Newton, KS 67117-0531. Bethel College is a small college located in North Newton, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 501 students and an admission rate of 75%. Bethel College has a bachelor's degree program in Mass Communication/Media Studies which graduated one student in 2008.
Newman University - Wichita, KS
Newman University, 3100 McCormick Ave, Wichita, KS 67213-2097. Newman University is a small university located in Wichita, Kansas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,435 students and an admission rate of 49%. Newman University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated seven students in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Wichita, Kansas
Wichita is located in Sedgwick County, Kansas. It has a population of over 366,046, which has grown by 6.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Wichita, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Wichita cost $106,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,012 new homes were constructed in Wichita, down from 1,248 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Wichita are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is transportation equipment, construction, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 18 minutes. More than 25.3% of Wichita residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Wichita is 8.8%, which is greater than Kansas's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Wichita residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 46.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Mizpah Baptist Church, Christ the King Lutheran Church and Christ the King Roman Catholic Church are some of the churches located in Wichita. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Wichita is home to the Pleasant Valley and the Wichita Plaza as well as Hyde Park and Watson Park. Shopping centers in the area include Central Heights Shopping Mall, Airpark Shopping Center and Sweetbriar Shopping Center. Visitors to Wichita can choose from Afton Motel, Hampton Inn Wichita-East and Corral Motel for temporary stays in the area.