Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Olathe, Kansas
Legislators can find many career and educational opportunities in the Olathe, Kansas area. The national trend for legislators sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $33 per hour or $65,177 per year in Kansas, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Legislators earn less than people working in the category of Specialized Management generally in Kansas and less than people in the Specialized Management category nationally. Jobs in this field include: councilor, tribal council member, and assembly person.
The Olathe area is home to sixty schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Olathe where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Olathe include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Park University - Parkville, MO
Park University, 8700 NW River Park Dr, Parkville, MO 64152-3795. Park University is a large university located in Parkville, Missouri. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,457 students and an admission rate of 78%. Park University has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and two students respectively in 2008.
- Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties, master's degree.
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Kansas City, MO
University of Missouri-Kansas City, 5100 Rockhill Rd, Kansas City, MO 64110. University of Missouri-Kansas City is a large university located in Kansas City, Missouri. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,481 students and an admission rate of 73%. University of Missouri-Kansas City has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated thirty-nine students in 2008.
Haskell Indian Nations University - Lawrence, KS
Haskell Indian Nations University, 155 Indian Ave, Lawrence, KS 66046-4800. Haskell Indian Nations University is a small university located in Lawrence, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 997 students and an admission rate of 50%. Haskell Indian Nations University has an associate's degree program in Public Administration which graduated two students in 2008.
University of Kansas - Lawrence, KS
University of Kansas, , Lawrence, KS 66045. University of Kansas is a large university located in Lawrence, Kansas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 29,365 students and an admission rate of 92%. University of Kansas has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Public Administration which graduated fifteen, thirty-three, and two students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Olathe, Kansas
Olathe is situated in Johnson County, Kansas. It has a population of over 119,993, which has grown by 29.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Olathe, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Olathe are priced at $315,000 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, three hundred fifty-two new homes were constructed in Olathe, down from five hundred ninety-nine the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Olathe are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and finance and insurance. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 39.9% of Olathe residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Olathe is 6.7%, which is greater than Kansas's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Olathe residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 50.8%, is more than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Shopping malls in the area include Twin Trail Shopping Center, East Gate Shopping Center and Gibson Shopping Center. Visitors to Olathe can choose from Microtel Inn Olathe, Sleep Inn Olathe and Grid Iron Sports Bar for temporary stays in the area.