Career and Education Opportunities for Tax Examiners in Des Moines, Iowa
For those living in the Des Moines, Iowa area, there are many career and education opportunities for tax examiners. The national trend for tax examiners sees this job pool growing by about 13.0% over the next eight years. Tax examiners generally determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners earn about $27 per hour or $56,540 annually on average in Iowa and about $23 per hour or $48,100 annually on average nationally. Incomes for tax examiners are better than in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing in Iowa, and not quite as good as the overall Accounting and Auditing category nationally. People working as tax examiners can fill a number of jobs, such as: tax compliance agent, revenue field auditor, and income tax auditor.
The Des Moines area is home to fifteen schools of higher education, including six within twenty-five miles of Des Moines where you can get a degree as a tax examiner. Tax examiners usually hold some college courses, so it will take a short time to learn to be a tax examiner if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Tax Examiner
In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data. They also maintain records for each case. Finally, tax examiners contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
Every day, tax examiners are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for tax examiners to notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issue a refund or request further payment. They are often called upon to collect taxes from individuals or businesses in line with prescribed laws and regulations. They also talk with taxpayers or their representatives to consider the issues and regulations involved in returns, and to deal with problems with returns. They are sometimes expected to send notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent. Somewhat less frequently, tax examiners are also expected to examine and analyze tax assets and liabilities to establish resolution of delinquent tax problems.
Tax examiners sometimes are asked to ready briefs, and help in searching and seizing records to ready charges and documentation for court cases. They also have to be able to enter tax return data into computers for processing And finally, they sometimes have to maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data.
Like many other jobs, tax examiners must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Des Moines include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Assessor. Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Counselor. Provide guidance to prospective loan applicants who have problems qualifying for traditional loans. Guidance may include determining the best type of loan and explaining loan requirements or restrictions.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Real Estate Appraiser. Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, or loan purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Tax Examiner Training
Simpson College - Indianola, IA
Simpson College, 701 North C St, Indianola, IA 50125. Simpson College is a small college located in Indianola, Iowa. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,052 students and an admission rate of 88%. Simpson College has a bachelor's degree and a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Accounting which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus - Urbandale, IA
Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus, 4655 121st Street, Urbandale, IA 50323. Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus is a small university located in Urbandale, Iowa. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 864 students. Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated twenty-one and two students respectively in 2008.
Central College - Pella, IA
Central College, 812 University, Pella, IA 50219. Central College is a small college located in Pella, Iowa. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,558 students and an admission rate of 77%. Central College has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated three students in 2008.
Drake University - Des Moines, IA
Drake University, 2507 University Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50311-4505. Drake University is a medium sized university located in Des Moines, Iowa. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,753 students and an admission rate of 69%. Drake University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Accounting which graduated four and fifteen students respectively in 2008.
AIB College of Business - Des Moines, IA
AIB College of Business, 2500 Fleur Drive, Des Moines, IA 50321-1799. AIB College of Business is a small college located in Des Moines, Iowa. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 985 students and an admission rate of 55%. AIB College of Business has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated sixty-six and ten students respectively in 2008.
Grand View University - Des Moines, IA
Grand View University, 1200 Grandview Ave, Des Moines, IA 50316. Grand View University is a small university located in Des Moines, Iowa. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,936 students and an admission rate of 95%. Grand View University has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated ten students in 2008.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
Certified Fraud Examiner: The ACFE established and administers the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designation.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Des Moines, Iowa
Des Moines is located in Polk County, Iowa. It has a population of over 197,052, which has shrunk by 0.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Des Moines, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Des Moines cost $175,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-five new homes were built in Des Moines, down from three hundred nine the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Des Moines are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, finance and insurance, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 18 minutes. More than 21.8% of Des Moines residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Des Moines is 7.1%, which is greater than Iowa's average of 6.1%.
The percentage of Des Moines residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 48.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Epworth United Methodist Church, Union Park Baptist Church and Seventh Day Adventist Church are all churches located in Des Moines. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Methodist Church.
Des Moines is home to the Activities Center and the Blank Park Zoo as well as M L King Park and Des Moines Botanical Garden. Shopping centers in the area include Merle Hay Mall, Des Moines Park Fair Mall and Southridge Mall. Visitors to Des Moines can choose from Palace Inn, Holiday Inn Express Des Moines and Casa Bella Motel for temporary stays in the area.