Career and Education Opportunities for Computer Science Professors in Indianapolis, Indiana
Computer science professor career and educational opportunities abound in Indianapolis, Indiana. Computer science professors generally teach courses in computer science.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $23 per hour or $61,091 per year in Indiana, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Computer science professors earn more than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in Indiana and more than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as computer science professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: computer information systems professor , applied computer science professor, and computer information systems instructor .
There are eight schools within twenty-five miles of Indianapolis where you can study to be a computer science professor, among thirty-six schools of higher education total in the Indianapolis area. The most common level of education for computer science professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years studying to be a computer science professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Computer Science Professor
In general, computer science professors teach courses in computer science. They also may specialize in a field of computer science.
Computer science professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, computer science professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations or assign this work to others. Finally, computer science professors supervise students' laboratory work.
Every day, computer science professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for computer science professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to act as advisers to student organizations. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. Somewhat less frequently, computer science professors are also expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
and serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, computer science professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Indianapolis include:
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Computer Science Professor Training
International Business College-Indianapolis - Indianapolis, IN
International Business College-Indianapolis, 7205 Shadeland Station, Indianapolis, IN 46256-3954. International Business College-Indianapolis is a small college located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 267 students and an admission rate of 83%. International Business College-Indianapolis has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, one to two year which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Computer Programming/Programmer, associate's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis - Indianapolis, IN
Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis, 425 University Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46202-5143. Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis is a large university located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 30,300 students and an admission rate of 70%. Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis has one to two year, bachelor's degree, and master's degree programs in Computer and Information Sciences which graduated thirty-nine, thirteen, and twenty-four students respectively in 2008.
Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana - Indianapolis, IN
Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana, 50 W. Fall Creek Parkway N. Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46208-5752. Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana is a large college located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,795 students. Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana has an associate's degree program in Computer and Information Sciences which graduated sixty students in 2008.
Franklin College - Franklin, IN
Franklin College, 101 Branigin Blvd, Franklin, IN 46131-2623. Franklin College is a small college located in Franklin, Indiana. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,153 students and an admission rate of 66%. Franklin College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Computer Science, bachelor's degree.
Anderson University - Anderson, IN
Anderson University, 1100 E 5th St, Anderson, IN 46012-3495. Anderson University is a small university located in Anderson, Indiana. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,737 students and an admission rate of 68%. Anderson University has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Information Science/Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Computer Science, bachelor's degree which graduated 7 students in 2008.
Butler University - Indianapolis, IN
Butler University, 4600 Sunset Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46208. Butler University is a small university located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,438 students and an admission rate of 72%. Butler University has 2 areas of study related to Computer Science Professor. They are:
- Computer and Information Sciences, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- Information Science/Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
DeVry University-Indiana - Indianapolis, IN
DeVry University-Indiana, 9100 Keystone Crossing, Ste 350, Indianapolis, IN 46240. DeVry University-Indiana is a small university located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 550 students and an admission rate of 87%. DeVry University-Indiana has a bachelor's degree program in Computer Systems Analysis/Analyst which graduated one student in 2008.
University of Indianapolis - Indianapolis, IN
University of Indianapolis, 1400 E Hanna Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46227-3697. University of Indianapolis is a small university located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,728 students and an admission rate of 72%. University of Indianapolis has a bachelor's degree program in Computer Science which graduated three students in 2008.
Internet and Computing Core Certification: IC is the ideal starting point for anyone interested in learning computer and Internet basics.
For more information, see the Certiport, Inc website.
Certified Technical Trainer: CompTIA CTT+ is an international, vendor-neutral certification that covers core instructor skills, including preparation, presentation, communication, facilitation and evaluation in both a classroom and virtual classroom environment.
For more information, see the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) website.
Microsoft Certified Professional Developer: For individuals who wish to distinguish themselves as an expert in Windows development, Web application development, or enterprise applications development.
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
Microsoft Certified Application Developer: Demonstrate your ability to build applications by using Microsoft Visual Studio .
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) credential validates your ability to manage and troubleshoot network environments in the Windows operating system.
For more information, see the Microsoft Corporation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Indianapolis, Indiana
Indianapolis is situated in Marion County, Indiana. It has a population of over 798,382, which has grown by 2.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Indianapolis, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Indianapolis cost $155,400 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, seven hundred thirty-four new homes were constructed in Indianapolis, down from 1,317 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Indianapolis are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 25.4% of Indianapolis residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.7%, is higher than the state average.
The percentage of Indianapolis residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 40.3%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Methodist Church and the Christian Churches and Churches of Christ.