Career and Education Opportunities for Graduate Research Assistants in Rockford, Illinois
Graduate research assistants can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Rockford, Illinois area. Graduate research assistants generally assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $23 per hour or $59,029 per year in Illinois, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as graduate research assistants in Illinois earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. Graduate research assistants work in a variety of jobs, including: teaching fellow, proctor, and graduate student instructor .
The Rockford area is home to twelve schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Rockford where you can get a degree as a graduate research assistant. Graduate research assistants usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so it will take about four years to learn to be a graduate research assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graduate Research Assistant
In general, graduate research assistants assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. They also graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program.
Graduate research assistants copy and distribute classroom materials. They also meet with supervisors to consider students' grades, and to finish required grade-related paperwork. Equally important, graduate research assistants have to evaluate and grade examinations, assignments, and papers, and record grades. They are often called upon to return assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines. Finally, graduate research assistants notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments.
Every day, graduate research assistants are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for graduate research assistants to lead discussion sections and laboratory sections. They are often called upon to inform students of the processes for completing and submitting class work such as lab reports. They also ready and proctor examinations. They are sometimes expected to schedule and maintain regular office hours to meet with students. Somewhat less frequently, graduate research assistants are also expected to complete laboratory projects before assigning them to students so that any needed modifications can be made.
They also have to be able to furnish instructors with assistance in the use of audiovisual equipment and notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments. And finally, they sometimes have to order or obtain materials needed for classes.
Like many other jobs, graduate research assistants must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Rockford include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Middle School Teacher. Teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graduate Research Assistant Training
Rockford College - Rockford, IL
Rockford College, 5050 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108-2393. Rockford College is a small college located in Rockford, Illinois. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,390 students and an admission rate of 67%. Rockford College has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Education which graduated zero and three students respectively in 2008.
Beloit College - Beloit, WI
Beloit College, 700 College St, Beloit, WI 53511-5595. Beloit College is a small college located in Beloit, Wisconsin. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,384 students and an admission rate of 63%. Beloit College has a bachelor's degree program in Education which graduated eleven students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Rockford, Illinois
Rockford is situated in Winnebago County, Illinois. It has a population of over 157,272, which has grown by 4.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Rockford, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Rockford are valued at $125,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, sixty-four new homes were built in Rockford, down from one hundred fifty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Rockford are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is metal and metal products, construction, and machinery. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 19.8% of Rockford residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Rockford is 17.6%, which is greater than Illinois's average of 10.5%.
The percentage of Rockford residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 50.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Abundant Life Assembly of God Church, South Park Covenant Church and Souls Harbor Church are among the churches located in Rockford. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Methodist Church.
Rockford is home to the McPhail Hall and the Mary McGaw Hall as well as Ken-Rock Park and Jamestown Park. Shopping malls in the area include Alpine Village Shopping Center, Eleventh Street Plaza Shopping Center and Fairview Shopping Center. Visitors to Rockford can choose from Extended Stay America - Rockford East, Courtyard Rockford and Hampton Inn Rockford for temporary stays in the area.