Career and Education Opportunities for Office Machine Operators in Nampa, Idaho
If you want to be an office machine operator, the Nampa, Idaho area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for office machine operators sees this job pool shrinking by about 7.6% over the next eight years. In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators earn approximately $14 hourly or $30,610 annually on average in Idaho. Nationally they average about $12 hourly or $25,780 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Secretarial, people working as office machine operators in Idaho earn more. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Secretarial nationally.
The Nampa area is home to eleven schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Nampa where you can get a degree as an office machine operator. Office machine operators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be an office machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Office Machine Operator
In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators sort and proof completed work. They also load machines with materials such as blank paper or film. Equally important, office machine operators have to monitor machine operation, and make adjustments as needed to insure proper operation. They are often called upon to place original copies in feed trays, feed originals into feed rolls, or position originals on tables beneath camera lenses. They are expected to operate auxiliary machines such as collators, pad and tablet making machines and paper punching, folding and perforating machines. Finally, office machine operators file and store completed documents.
Every day, office machine operators are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for office machine operators to complete archives of production, including work volumes and outputs and any backlogs. They are often called upon to deliver completed work. They also ready and process papers for use in scanning and microfiche. They are sometimes expected to clean and file master copies or plates. Somewhat less frequently, office machine operators are also expected to operate office machines such as high speed business photocopiers, reader/scanners, addressing machines, stencil-cutting machines, microfilm reader/printers, folding and inserting and binder machines.
and prepare and adjust machines, regulating factors such as speed and number of copies. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain stock of supplies, and requisition any needed items.
Like many other jobs, office machine operators must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Nampa include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Office Machine Operator Training
Boise State University - Boise, ID
Boise State University, 1910 University Dr, Boise, ID 83725. Boise State University is a large university located in Boise, Idaho. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,667 students and an admission rate of 81%. Boise State University has a one to two year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Nampa, Idaho
Nampa is located in Canyon County, Idaho. It has a population of over 80,362, which has grown by 54.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Nampa, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Nampa cost $122,200 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-one new homes were built in Nampa, down from two hundred eighty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Nampa are health care, educational services, and computer and electronic products. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and food. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 16.0% of Nampa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Nampa is 11.2%, which is greater than Idaho's average of 8.3%.
The percentage of Nampa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Church of the Nazarene.
Shopping malls in the area include Karcher Mall, Nampa Shopping Center and Holly Shopping Center. Visitors to Nampa can choose from Sleep Inn Nampa, Days Inn Nampa ID and Starlite Motel for temporary stays in the area.