Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Nampa, Idaho
There are many career and education opportunities for legal secretaries in the Nampa, Idaho area. There are currently 1,120 jobs for legal secretaries in Idaho and this is projected to grow 12% to about 1,260 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. Legal secretaries generally perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
Legal secretaries earn approximately $15 per hour or $31,350 annually on average in Idaho. Nationally they average about $19 hourly or $39,860 yearly. Incomes for legal secretaries are better than in the overall category of Secretarial in Idaho, and better than the overall Secretarial category nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Nampa where you can study to be a legal secretary, among eleven schools of higher education total in the Nampa area. The most common level of education for legal secretaries is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree. You can expect to spend about two years training to become a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Nampa include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
Milan Institute - Boise, ID
Milan Institute, 8590 W Fairview Ave., Boise, ID 83704-8320. Milan Institute is a small school located in Boise, Idaho. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 337 students. Milan Institute has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated twelve students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Nampa, Idaho
Nampa is located in Canyon County, Idaho. It has a population of over 80,362, which has grown by 54.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Nampa, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Nampa cost $122,200 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-one new homes were built in Nampa, down from two hundred eighty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Nampa are health care, educational services, and computer and electronic products. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and food. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 16.0% of Nampa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Nampa is 11.2%, which is greater than Idaho's average of 8.3%.
The percentage of Nampa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Church of the Nazarene.
Shopping malls in the area include Karcher Mall, Nampa Shopping Center and Holly Shopping Center. Visitors to Nampa can choose from Sleep Inn Nampa, Days Inn Nampa ID and Starlite Motel for temporary stays in the area.