Career and Education Opportunities for Math Professors in Nampa, Idaho
There are many career and education opportunities for math professors in the Nampa, Idaho area. In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $23 per hour or $52,645 per year in Idaho, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. People working as math professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: statistics professor, math instructor, and physics instructor.
There are eleven schools of higher education in the Nampa area, including three within twenty-five miles of Nampa where you can get a degree to start your career as a math professor. The most common level of education for math professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years training to become a math professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Math Professor
In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
Math professors ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They also maintain student attendance records and other required records. Equally important, math professors have to evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They are often called upon to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. They are expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. Finally, math professors serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Every day, math professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for math professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra and discrete mathematics. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. Somewhat less frequently, math professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Math professors sometimes are asked to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in books or electronic media. and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Like many other jobs, math professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Nampa include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Math Professor Training
Boise State University - Boise, ID
Boise State University, 1910 University Dr, Boise, ID 83725. Boise State University is a large university located in Boise, Idaho. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,667 students and an admission rate of 81%. Boise State University has 2 areas of study related to Math Professor. They are:
- Mathematics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Applied Mathematics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Northwest Nazarene University - Nampa, ID
Northwest Nazarene University, 623 Holly St, Nampa, ID 83686-5897. Northwest Nazarene University is a small university located in Nampa, Idaho. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,944 students. Northwest Nazarene University has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
The College of Idaho - Caldwell, ID
The College of Idaho, 2112 Cleveland Blvd, Caldwell, ID 83605-4432. The College of Idaho is a small college located in Caldwell, Idaho. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 944 students and an admission rate of 57%. The College of Idaho has 2 areas of study related to Math Professor. They are:
- Mathematics, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Applied Mathematics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Nampa, Idaho
Nampa is located in Canyon County, Idaho. It has a population of over 80,362, which has grown by 54.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Nampa, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Nampa cost $122,200 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-one new homes were built in Nampa, down from two hundred eighty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Nampa are health care, educational services, and computer and electronic products. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and food. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 16.0% of Nampa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Nampa is 11.2%, which is greater than Idaho's average of 8.3%.
The percentage of Nampa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Church of the Nazarene.
Shopping malls in the area include Karcher Mall, Nampa Shopping Center and Holly Shopping Center. Visitors to Nampa can choose from Sleep Inn Nampa, Days Inn Nampa ID and Starlite Motel for temporary stays in the area.