Career and Education Opportunities for Fine Artists in Nampa, Idaho
Nampa, Idaho provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for fine artists. The national trend for fine artists sees this job pool growing by about 9.0% over the next eight years. Fine artists generally create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
The income of a fine artist is about $14 hourly or $31,000 per year on average in Idaho. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $20 hourly or $42,650 per year on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as fine artists in Idaho earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Jobs in this field include: art restorer, muralist, and technical illustrator.
The Nampa area is home to eleven schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Nampa where you can get a degree as a fine artist. The most common level of education for fine artists is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a fine artist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Fine Artist
In general, fine artists create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
Fine artists talk with clients and other interested parties regarding the nature and content of artwork to be produced. They also study different techniques to learn how to apply them to artistic endeavors. Equally important, fine artists have to maintain portfolios of artistic work to exhibit styles and abilities. They are often called upon to submit preliminary or finished artwork or project plans to clients for approval, incorporating changes as needed. Finally, fine artists monitor events and other circumstances, research specific subject areas, attend art exhibitions, and read art publications in order to optimize concepts and keep current on art world efforts.
Every day, fine artists are expected to be able to distinguish between colors. They need to be creative and generate new ideas. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for fine artists to integrate and design visual elements, such as line and perspective, so as to produce desired effects such as the illustration of concepts or moods. They are often called upon to use materials such as pens and ink or computer software to generate artwork. They also cut and fasten individual or mixed raw and manufactured materials and products to fashion works of art. They are sometimes expected to develop finished art work as decoration, or to elucidate or substitute for spoken or written messages. Somewhat less frequently, fine artists are also expected to develop sketches or likenesses of posed subjects or photographs, using any combination of freehand drawing, mechanical assembly kits, and computer imaging.
Fine artists sometimes are asked to furnish entertainment at special events by performing efforts such as drawing cartoons. They also have to be able to model substances such as clay or wax, using fingers and small hand tools to fashion objects and shade and fill in sketch outlines and backgrounds, using a variety of media such as water colors and transparent washes, labeling designated colors when needed. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish entertainment at special events by performing efforts such as drawing cartoons.
Like many other jobs, fine artists must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Nampa include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
- Writer. Create original written works.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Fine Artist Training
Boise State University - Boise, ID
Boise State University, 1910 University Dr, Boise, ID 83725. Boise State University is a large university located in Boise, Idaho. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,667 students and an admission rate of 81%. Boise State University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Art/Art Studies.
Northwest Nazarene University - Nampa, ID
Northwest Nazarene University, 623 Holly St, Nampa, ID 83686-5897. Northwest Nazarene University is a small university located in Nampa, Idaho. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,944 students. Northwest Nazarene University has 2 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree.
- Drawing, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
The College of Idaho - Caldwell, ID
The College of Idaho, 2112 Cleveland Blvd, Caldwell, ID 83605-4432. The College of Idaho is a small college located in Caldwell, Idaho. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 944 students and an admission rate of 57%. The College of Idaho has a bachelor's degree program in Fine/Studio Arts which graduated one student in 2008.
Certification of Medical Illustrators: The Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators administers a certification program for illustrators who seek a recognizable means of credentialing.
For more information, see the Association of Medical Illustrators website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Nampa, Idaho
Nampa is located in Canyon County, Idaho. It has a population of over 80,362, which has grown by 54.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Nampa, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Nampa cost $122,200 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-one new homes were built in Nampa, down from two hundred eighty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Nampa are health care, educational services, and computer and electronic products. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and food. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 16.0% of Nampa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Nampa is 11.2%, which is greater than Idaho's average of 8.3%.
The percentage of Nampa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Church of the Nazarene.
Shopping malls in the area include Karcher Mall, Nampa Shopping Center and Holly Shopping Center. Visitors to Nampa can choose from Sleep Inn Nampa, Days Inn Nampa ID and Starlite Motel for temporary stays in the area.