Career and Education Opportunities for Tax Examiners in Kaneohe, Hawaii
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for tax examiners in the Kaneohe, Hawaii area. The national trend for tax examiners sees this job pool growing by about 13.0% over the next eight years. In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners earn approximately $34 per hour or $71,500 yearly on average in Hawaii. Nationally they average about $23 per hour or $48,100 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing, people working as tax examiners in Hawaii earn more. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing nationally. Tax examiners work in a variety of jobs, including: customs collector, collections specialist, and delinquent tax collection assistant.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Kaneohe where you can study to be a tax examiner, among twelve schools of higher education total in the Kaneohe area. Tax examiners usually hold some college courses, so you can expect to spend a short time studying to be a tax examiner if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Tax Examiner
In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data. They also maintain records for each case. Finally, tax examiners contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
Every day, tax examiners are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for tax examiners to notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issue a refund or request further payment. They are often called upon to collect taxes from individuals or businesses in line with prescribed laws and regulations. They also talk with taxpayers or their representatives to consider the issues and regulations involved in returns, and to deal with problems with returns. They are sometimes expected to send notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent. Somewhat less frequently, tax examiners are also expected to examine and analyze tax assets and liabilities to establish resolution of delinquent tax problems.
Tax examiners sometimes are asked to ready briefs, and help in searching and seizing records to ready charges and documentation for court cases. They also have to be able to enter tax return data into computers for processing And finally, they sometimes have to maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data.
Like many other jobs, tax examiners must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Kaneohe include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Tax Examiner Training
Leeward Community College - Pearl City, HI
Leeward Community College, 96-045 Ala Ike, Pearl City, HI 96782-3393. Leeward Community College is a medium sized college located in Pearl City, Hawaii. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,771 students. Leeward Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Accounting which graduated four and fifteen students respectively in 2008.
University of Hawaii at Manoa - Honolulu, HI
University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2500 Campus Road, Hawaii Hall, Honolulu, HI 96822-2301. University of Hawaii at Manoa is a large university located in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 20,169 students and an admission rate of 69%. University of Hawaii at Manoa has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Accounting which graduated 107 and twenty students respectively in 2008.
Brigham Young University-Hawaii - Laie, HI
Brigham Young University-Hawaii, 55-220 Kulanui Street, Laie, HI 96762-1294. Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a small university located in Laie, Hawaii. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,424 students and an admission rate of 39%. Brigham Young University-Hawaii has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
Certified Fraud Examiner: The ACFE established and administers the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designation.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Kaneohe, Hawaii
Kaneohe is situated in Honolulu County, Hawaii. It has a population of over 35,987. The cost of living index in Kaneohe, 167, is far greater than the national average.
The three most popular industries for women in Kaneohe are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is public administration, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 30 minutes. More than 29.5% of Kaneohe residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.8%, is higher than the state average.
About 6.1% of Kaneohe's residents are below the poverty line, which is better than the state average.
The percentage of Kaneohe residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 33.3%, is less than both the national and state average. Door of Faith Church, Pali View Baptist Church and Kaneohe Congregational Church are among the churches located in Kaneohe. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Kaneohe is home to the Kaneohe Civic Center and the ‘Iolani Building as well as Käne‘ohe Civic Center Playground and Kaluapuhi Neighborhood Park. Shopping centers in the area include Käne‘ohe Shopping Center, Käne‘ohe Bay Shopping Center and Windward City Shopping Center.