Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in Honolulu, Hawaii
Nursing professors can find many career and educational opportunities in the Honolulu, Hawaii area. In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $25 per hour or $63,976 per year in Hawaii, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Jobs in this field include: nurse educator, lecturer, and dean.
The Honolulu area is home to twenty-four schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Honolulu where you can get a degree as a nursing professor. Nursing professors usually hold a Master's degree, so it will take about six years to learn to be a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Honolulu include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
Kapiolani Community College - Honolulu, HI
Kapiolani Community College, 4303 Diamond Head Rd, Honolulu, HI 96816-4496. Kapiolani Community College is a medium sized college located in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,221 students. Kapiolani Community College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated seventy-one students in 2008.
Kauai Community College - Lihue, HI
Kauai Community College, 3-1901 Kaumualii Hwy, Lihue, HI 96766-9591. Kauai Community College is a small college located in Lihue, Hawaii. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,104 students. Kauai Community College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated twenty students in 2008.
Hawaii Pacific University - Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University, 1164 Bishop St., Suite 216, Honolulu, HI 96813. Hawaii Pacific University is a medium sized university located in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,293 students and an admission rate of 87%. Hawaii Pacific University has 4 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree which graduated 240, two, and nine students respectively in 2008.
- Family Practice Nurse/Nurse Practitioner, master's degree and post-master's certificate which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Public Health/Community Nurse/Nursing, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Nursing, Other Specialties, less than one year which graduated 1 student in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Hawaii Campus - Honolulu, HI
University of Phoenix-Hawaii Campus, 827 Fort Street, Honolulu, HI 96813-4317. University of Phoenix-Hawaii Campus is a small university located in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 745 students. University of Phoenix-Hawaii Campus has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Nursing Science, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated twenty-four and seven students respectively in 2008.
University of Hawaii at Manoa - Honolulu, HI
University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2500 Campus Road, Hawaii Hall, Honolulu, HI 96822-2301. University of Hawaii at Manoa is a large university located in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 20,169 students and an admission rate of 69%. University of Hawaii at Manoa has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated 107, twenty-three, and two students respectively in 2008.
- Nursing Science, doctor's degree.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Honolulu, Hawaii
Honolulu is located in Honolulu County, Hawaii. It has a population of over 374,676, which has grown by 0.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Honolulu, 180, is far greater than the national average.
The three most popular industries for women in Honolulu are accommodation and food services, educational services, and health care. For men, it is accommodation and food services, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 23 minutes. More than 31.1% of Honolulu residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.7%, is higher than the state average.
The percentage of Honolulu residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 33.3%, is less than both the national and state average. Waiokeola Congregational Church, Daijingu Temple of Hawaii and Wesley Methodist Student Center are among the churches located in Honolulu. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Honolulu is home to the Livingston Pool and the Mamala Bay Golf Course as well as Spalding Memorial Tennis Courts and Kuhio Park. Shopping malls in the area include Aina Haina Shopping Center, Ala Moana Shopping Center and Aloha Tower Marketplace Shopping Center. Visitors to Honolulu can choose from Kosuga Inc, Hawaiian Condo Resorts Inc and Honolulu Airport Hotel for temporary stays in the area.