Career and Education Opportunities for Telemarketers in Atlanta, Georgia
Telemarketers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Atlanta, Georgia area. About 5,640 people are currently employed as telemarketers in Georgia. By 2016, this is expected to shrink 13% to about 4,900 people employed. This is not quite as good as the national trend for telemarketers, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 11.1% over the next eight years. Telemarketers generally solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers earn about $11 per hour or $23,290 yearly on average in Georgia and about $10 hourly or $21,960 yearly on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical, people working as telemarketers in Georgia earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical nationally.
There are ninety-one schools of higher education in the Atlanta area, including nine within twenty-five miles of Atlanta where you can get a degree to start your career as a telemarketer. Given that the most common education level for telemarketers is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a telemarketer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Telemarketer
In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from clients. They also obtain customer data such as name and payment method, and enter orders into computers. Finally, telemarketers deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation.
Every day, telemarketers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for telemarketers to record names and reactions of prospects contacted. They are often called upon to adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals. They also deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation. They are sometimes expected to contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to seek sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes. Somewhat less frequently, telemarketers are also expected to maintain records of contacts and orders.
Telemarketers sometimes are asked to answer telephone calls from potential clients who have been solicited through advertisements. They also have to be able to telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from clients or to follow up initial sales contacts and conduct client or market surveys so as to obtain data related to potential clients. And finally, they sometimes have to schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective clients or for clients to attend sales presentations.
Like many other jobs, telemarketers must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Atlanta include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Telemarketer Training
Kennesaw State University - Kennesaw, GA
Kennesaw State University, 1000 Chastain Rd, Kennesaw, GA 30144-5591. Kennesaw State University is a large university located in Kennesaw, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 21,340 students and an admission rate of 59%. Kennesaw State University has a bachelor's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Chattahoochee Technical College - Marietta, GA
Chattahoochee Technical College, 980 S Cobb Drive Dr SE, Marietta, GA 30060-3300. Chattahoochee Technical College is a medium sized college located in Marietta, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,616 students. Chattahoochee Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated five and twenty-six students respectively in 2008.
Gwinnett Technical College - Lawrenceville, GA
Gwinnett Technical College, 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043-5702. Gwinnett Technical College is a medium sized college located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,299 students. Gwinnett Technical College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree which graduated thirteen, one, and seventeen students respectively in 2008.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, less than one year which graduated 26 students in 2008.
Clayton State University - Morrow, GA
Clayton State University, 2000 Clayton State Boulevard, Morrow, GA 30260-0285. Clayton State University is a medium sized university located in Morrow, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,056 students and an admission rate of 46%. Clayton State University has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated two and ten students respectively in 2008.
North Metro Technical College - Acworth, GA
North Metro Technical College, 5198 Ross Rd, Acworth, GA 30102-3012. North Metro Technical College is a small college located in Acworth, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,498 students. North Metro Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated three and one students respectively in 2008.
Lanier Technical College - Oakwood, GA
Lanier Technical College, 2990 Landrum Education Dr, Oakwood, GA 30566. Lanier Technical College is a small college located in Oakwood, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,168 students. Lanier Technical College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated three, three, and five students respectively in 2008.
Atlanta Technical College - Atlanta, GA
Atlanta Technical College, 1560 Metropolitan Pky SW, Atlanta, GA 30310-4446. Atlanta Technical College is a small college located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,293 students. Atlanta Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated four and six students respectively in 2008.
Georgia State University - Atlanta, GA
Georgia State University, 33 gilmer st, Atlanta, GA 30303-3083. Georgia State University is a large university located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,182 students and an admission rate of 53%. Georgia State University has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Insurance which graduated sixty, nineteen, and five students respectively in 2008.
Dekalb Technical College - Clarkston, GA
Dekalb Technical College, 495 N Indian Creek Dr, Clarkston, GA 30021-2397. Dekalb Technical College is a small college located in Clarkston, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,939 students. Dekalb Technical College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated twelve, one, and ten students respectively in 2008.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta is located in Fulton County, Georgia. It has a population of over 537,958, which has grown by 29.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Atlanta, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Atlanta cost $173,200 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred two new homes were constructed in Atlanta, down from 1,247 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Atlanta are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 34.6% of Atlanta residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Atlanta is 11.1%, which is greater than Georgia's average of 10.1%.
The percentage of Atlanta residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Aarons Tabernacle Church, Welcome Home Baptist Church and Adair Park Church are some of the churches located in Atlanta. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Atlanta is home to the Martin Luther King Junior Community Center and the Diuid Hills Golf Club as well as Alexander Park and Wesley Avenue Park. Shopping malls in the area include Rio Mall Shopping Center, Collier Heights Plaza Shopping Center and Northside Parkway Shopping Center. Visitors to Atlanta can choose from Country Inn-Stes Atl Dwntwn S, Comfort Inn and Comfort Inn Buckhead North for temporary stays in the area.