Career and Education Opportunities for Retail Salesmen in Atlanta, Georgia
Retail salesmen can find many career and educational opportunities in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Currently, 127,750 people work as retail salesmen in Georgia. This is expected to grow by 20% to about 153,800 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for retail salesmen, which sees this job pool growing by about 8.3% over the next eight years. Retail salesmen generally sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
The income of a retail salesman is about $9 hourly or $19,740 yearly on average in Georgia. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $9 hourly or $20,510 annually on average. Retail salesmen earn less than people working in the category of Sales and Clerical generally in Georgia and less than people in the Sales and Clerical category nationally.
There are eight schools within twenty-five miles of Atlanta where you can study to be a retail salesman, among ninety-one schools of higher education total in the Atlanta area. Given that the most common education level for retail salesmen is a high school diploma or GED, it will take only a short time to learn to be a retail salesman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Retail Salesman
In general, retail salesmen sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
Retail salesmen greet clients and ascertain what each customer wants or needs. They also describe products and explain use, operation, and up keep of products to clients. Equally important, retail salesmen have to recommend and help locate or obtain products on the basis of customer needs and desires. They are often called upon to maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices. They are expected to answer questions regarding stores and their products. Finally, retail salesmen ticket, arrange and display products to advance sales.
Every day, retail salesmen are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they speak clearly.
It is important for retail salesmen to inventory stock and requisition new stock. They are often called upon to watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to inhibit or handle these situations. They also demonstrate use or operation of product. They are sometimes expected to make ready sales slips or sales contracts. Somewhat less frequently, retail salesmen are also expected to estimate cost of repair or modification of product.
and maintain records pertaining to sales. And finally, they sometimes have to describe products and explain use, operation, and up keep of products to clients.
Like many other jobs, retail salesmen must be reliable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Atlanta include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Rental Counter Clerk. Receive orders for repairs, rentals, and services. May describe available options, compute cost, and accept payment.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Retail Salesman Training
Kennesaw State University - Kennesaw, GA
Kennesaw State University, 1000 Chastain Rd, Kennesaw, GA 30144-5591. Kennesaw State University is a large university located in Kennesaw, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 21,340 students and an admission rate of 59%. Kennesaw State University has a bachelor's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Chattahoochee Technical College - Marietta, GA
Chattahoochee Technical College, 980 S Cobb Drive Dr SE, Marietta, GA 30060-3300. Chattahoochee Technical College is a medium sized college located in Marietta, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,616 students. Chattahoochee Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated five and twenty-six students respectively in 2008.
Gwinnett Technical College - Lawrenceville, GA
Gwinnett Technical College, 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043-5702. Gwinnett Technical College is a medium sized college located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,299 students. Gwinnett Technical College has 4 areas of study related to Retail Salesman. They are:
- Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management, less than one year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree which graduated thirteen, one, and seventeen students respectively in 2008.
- Retailing and Retail Operations, less than one year which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, less than one year which graduated 26 students in 2008.
Clayton State University - Morrow, GA
Clayton State University, 2000 Clayton State Boulevard, Morrow, GA 30260-0285. Clayton State University is a medium sized university located in Morrow, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,056 students and an admission rate of 46%. Clayton State University has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated two and ten students respectively in 2008.
North Metro Technical College - Acworth, GA
North Metro Technical College, 5198 Ross Rd, Acworth, GA 30102-3012. North Metro Technical College is a small college located in Acworth, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,498 students. North Metro Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated three and one students respectively in 2008.
Lanier Technical College - Oakwood, GA
Lanier Technical College, 2990 Landrum Education Dr, Oakwood, GA 30566. Lanier Technical College is a small college located in Oakwood, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,168 students. Lanier Technical College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated three, three, and five students respectively in 2008.
Atlanta Technical College - Atlanta, GA
Atlanta Technical College, 1560 Metropolitan Pky SW, Atlanta, GA 30310-4446. Atlanta Technical College is a small college located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,293 students. Atlanta Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated four and six students respectively in 2008.
Dekalb Technical College - Clarkston, GA
Dekalb Technical College, 495 N Indian Creek Dr, Clarkston, GA 30021-2397. Dekalb Technical College is a small college located in Clarkston, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,939 students. Dekalb Technical College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated twelve, one, and ten students respectively in 2008.
Certified Professional SalesPerson: Whether you're an experienced sales professional looking to take your career to the next level, or new to sales and looking to accelerate your learning curve and income, becoming a NASP Certified Professional SalesPerson (CPSP) will help you get there.
For more information, see the National Association of Sales Professionals website.
Automotive Sales Professional: This is a tremendous opportunity for everyone who has an interest in automotive sales to become a knowledgeable, ethical and customer-focused trained individual and enjoy great career success.
For more information, see the National Automobile Dealers Association website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
Licensing agency: Ga St Brd of Reg of Used Mtr Veh Dlrs and Used Mtr Veh Parts Dlrs
Address: 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858
Phone: (478) 207-1460
Website: Ga St Brd of Reg of Used Mtr Veh Dlrs and Used Mtr Veh Parts Dlrs
Hearing Aid Dispenser
Licensing agency: Georgia State Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Dealers
Address: 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858
Phone: (478) 207-1686
Website: Georgia State Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Dealers
Used Motor Vehicle Dealers
Licensing agency: Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers
Address: and Used Motor Vehilcle Parts Dealers, 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858
Phone: (478) 207-1460
Website: Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehilcle Parts Dealers
LOCATION INFORMATION: Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta is located in Fulton County, Georgia. It has a population of over 537,958, which has grown by 29.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Atlanta, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Atlanta cost $173,200 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred two new homes were constructed in Atlanta, down from 1,247 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Atlanta are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 34.6% of Atlanta residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Atlanta is 11.1%, which is greater than Georgia's average of 10.1%.
The percentage of Atlanta residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Aarons Tabernacle Church, Welcome Home Baptist Church and Adair Park Church are some of the churches located in Atlanta. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Atlanta is home to the Martin Luther King Junior Community Center and the Diuid Hills Golf Club as well as Alexander Park and Wesley Avenue Park. Shopping malls in the area include Rio Mall Shopping Center, Collier Heights Plaza Shopping Center and Northside Parkway Shopping Center. Visitors to Atlanta can choose from Country Inn-Stes Atl Dwntwn S, Comfort Inn and Comfort Inn Buckhead North for temporary stays in the area.