Career and Education Opportunities for Cage Cashiers in Atlanta, Georgia
There are many career and education opportunities for cage cashiers in the Atlanta, Georgia area. The national trend for cage cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. Cage cashiers generally exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money.
The average wage in the general category of Sales and Clerical jobs is $20 per hour or $41,398 per year in Georgia, and an average of $20 per hour or $41,244 per year nationwide.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Atlanta where you can study to be a cage cashier, among ninety-one schools of higher education total in the Atlanta area. Cage cashiers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a cage cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cage Cashier
In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. They also may issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine.
Cage cashiers count money and audit money drawers. Finally, cage cashiers exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients.
Every day, cage cashiers are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for cage cashiers to keep accurate records of monetary exchanges and transaction reconciliations. They are often called upon to work in and monitor an assigned area on the casino floor where slot machines are located. They also listen for jackpot alarm bells and issue payoffs to winners. They are sometimes expected to exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients. Somewhat less frequently, cage cashiers are also expected to furnish change persons with a money bank at the start of each shift.
They also have to be able to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players And finally, they sometimes have to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players.
Like many other jobs, cage cashiers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Atlanta include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cage Cashier Training
Gwinnett Technical College - Lawrenceville, GA
Gwinnett Technical College, 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043-5702. Gwinnett Technical College is a medium sized college located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,299 students. Gwinnett Technical College has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta is located in Fulton County, Georgia. It has a population of over 537,958, which has grown by 29.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Atlanta, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Atlanta cost $173,200 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred two new homes were constructed in Atlanta, down from 1,247 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Atlanta are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 34.6% of Atlanta residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Atlanta is 11.1%, which is greater than Georgia's average of 10.1%.
The percentage of Atlanta residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Aarons Tabernacle Church, Welcome Home Baptist Church and Adair Park Church are some of the churches located in Atlanta. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Atlanta is home to the Martin Luther King Junior Community Center and the Diuid Hills Golf Club as well as Alexander Park and Wesley Avenue Park. Shopping malls in the area include Rio Mall Shopping Center, Collier Heights Plaza Shopping Center and Northside Parkway Shopping Center. Visitors to Atlanta can choose from Country Inn-Stes Atl Dwntwn S, Comfort Inn and Comfort Inn Buckhead North for temporary stays in the area.