Career and Education Opportunities for Weighters in Atlanta, Georgia
Weighters can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Atlanta, Georgia area. There are currently 2,870 jobs for weighters in Georgia and this is projected to shrink by 15% to about 2,440 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for weighters are expected to shrink by about 13.1%. In general, weighters weigh, measure, and check materials, supplies, and equipment for the purpose of keeping relevant records.
Weighters earn approximately $13 hourly or $27,530 annually on average in Georgia. Nationally they average about $12 per hour or $26,940 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Clerical, people working as weighters in Georgia earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Clerical nationally.
There are ninety-one schools of higher education in the Atlanta area, including seven within twenty-five miles of Atlanta where you can get a degree to start your career as a weighter. The most common level of education for weighters is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a weighter if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Weighter
In general, weighters weigh, measure, and check materials, supplies, and equipment for the purpose of keeping relevant records. They also duties are primarily clerical by nature.
Every day, weighters are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for weighters to inspect incoming loads of waste to pinpoint contents and to screen for the presence of specific regulated or hazardous wastes. They are often called upon to document quantity, quality, type, weight, test result data, and value of materials or products, so as to maintain shipping and production archives and files. They also maintain and clean work areas, such as recycling collection sites, drop boxes, counters and windows, and areas around scale houses. They are sometimes expected to count or estimate quantities of materials or products received or shipped. Somewhat less frequently, weighters are also expected to communicate with customers and vendors to exchange data regarding products and services.
Weighters sometimes are asked to store samples of finished products in labeled cartons and record their location. They also have to be able to fill orders for products and samples, following order tickets, and forward or mail items and inspect products and examination archives to establish the number of defects per worker and the reasons for examiners' rejections. And finally, they sometimes have to store samples of finished products in labeled cartons and record their location.
Like many other jobs, weighters must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Atlanta include:
- Broker Assistant. Perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. Duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Freight Representative. Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Front Desk Manager. Accommodate hotel, motel, and resort patrons by registering and assigning rooms to guests, issuing room keys, transmitting and receiving messages, keeping records of occupied rooms and guests' accounts, making and confirming reservations, and presenting statements to and collecting payments from departing guests.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Library Clerk. Compile records, sort and shelve books, and issue and receive library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
- License Clerk. Issue licenses or permits to qualified applicants. Obtain necessary information; record data; advise applicants on requirements; collect fees; and issue licenses. May conduct oral, written, or performance testing.
- Loan Inspector. Interview loan applicants to elicit information; investigate applicants' backgrounds and verify references; prepare loan request papers; and forward findings, reports, and documents to appraisal department. Review loan papers to ensure completeness, and complete transactions between loan establishment, borrowers, and sellers upon approval of loan.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Order Clerk. Receive and process incoming orders for materials, merchandise, or services such as repairs, installations, or rental of facilities. Duties include informing customers of receipt, prices, and delays; preparing contracts; and handling complaints.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Postal Clerk. Perform any combination of tasks in a post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders; place mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags according to State, address, or other scheme; and examine mail for correct postage.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Receptionist. Answer inquiries and obtain information for general public, customers, and other interested parties. Provide information regarding activities conducted at establishment; location of departments, offices, and employees within organization.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
- Store Clerk. Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise. Stock shelves, racks, and tables with merchandise and arrange merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and mark merchandise.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Weighter Training
Iverson Business School - Atlanta, GA
Iverson Business School, 6685 Peachtree Industrial, Atlanta, GA 30360. Iverson Business School is a small school located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 351 students. Iverson Business School has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated three students in 2008.
Javelin Technical Training Center - Atlanta, GA
Javelin Technical Training Center, 4501 Circle 75 Pky Ste D-4280, Atlanta, GA 30339. Javelin Technical Training Center is a small school located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 946 students. Javelin Technical Training Center has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated 132 students in 2008.
Gwinnett Technical College - Lawrenceville, GA
Gwinnett Technical College, 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043-5702. Gwinnett Technical College is a medium sized college located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,299 students. Gwinnett Technical College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated twenty-four students in 2008.
Clayton State University - Morrow, GA
Clayton State University, 2000 Clayton State Boulevard, Morrow, GA 30260-0285. Clayton State University is a medium sized university located in Morrow, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,056 students and an admission rate of 46%. Clayton State University has a less than one year and a one to two year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated five and four students respectively in 2008.
Lanier Technical College - Oakwood, GA
Lanier Technical College, 2990 Landrum Education Dr, Oakwood, GA 30566. Lanier Technical College is a small college located in Oakwood, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,168 students. Lanier Technical College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated four students in 2008.
Atlanta Technical College - Atlanta, GA
Atlanta Technical College, 1560 Metropolitan Pky SW, Atlanta, GA 30310-4446. Atlanta Technical College is a small college located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,293 students. Atlanta Technical College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
Gainesville State College - Oakwood, GA
Gainesville State College, 3820 Mundy Mill Rd, Oakwood, GA 30566. Gainesville State College is a medium sized college located in Oakwood, Georgia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,060 students and an admission rate of 98%. Gainesville State College has an associate's degree program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta is located in Fulton County, Georgia. It has a population of over 537,958, which has grown by 29.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Atlanta, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Atlanta cost $173,200 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred two new homes were constructed in Atlanta, down from 1,247 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Atlanta are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 34.6% of Atlanta residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Atlanta is 11.1%, which is greater than Georgia's average of 10.1%.
The percentage of Atlanta residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Aarons Tabernacle Church, Welcome Home Baptist Church and Adair Park Church are some of the churches located in Atlanta. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Atlanta is home to the Martin Luther King Junior Community Center and the Diuid Hills Golf Club as well as Alexander Park and Wesley Avenue Park. Shopping malls in the area include Rio Mall Shopping Center, Collier Heights Plaza Shopping Center and Northside Parkway Shopping Center. Visitors to Atlanta can choose from Country Inn-Stes Atl Dwntwn S, Comfort Inn and Comfort Inn Buckhead North for temporary stays in the area.