Career and Education Opportunities for Postmasters in Tampa, Florida
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for postmasters in the Tampa, Florida area. The national trend for postmasters sees this job pool shrinking by about 15.1% over the next eight years. In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U.
A person working as a postmaster can expect to earn about $33 hourly or $69,170 per year on average in Florida and about $28 per hour or $59,310 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for postmasters are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Transportation and Logistics in Florida and not quite as good as general Transportation and Logistics category earnings nationally. People working as postmasters can fill a number of jobs, such as: mail delivery supervisor, customer service supervisor, and customer service manager.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Tampa where you can study to be a postmaster, among fifty-four schools of higher education total in the Tampa area. The most common level of education for postmasters is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a postmaster if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Postmaster
In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U. They also s.
Postmasters organize and supervise efforts such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. They also resolve customer complaints. Finally, postmasters ready employee work schedules.
Every day, postmasters are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for postmasters to ready and submit detailed and summary reports of post office efforts to designated supervisors. They are often called upon to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance. They also negotiate labor disputes. They are sometimes expected to direct and schedule operational, management, and supportive services of one or variety of postal facilities. Somewhat less frequently, postmasters are also expected to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
Postmasters sometimes are asked to ready employee work schedules. They also have to be able to issue and cash money orders And finally, they sometimes have to talk with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases and to requisition supplies; disburse funds in line with federal regulations.
Like many other jobs, postmasters must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Tampa include:
- Administrator. Plan, direct, or coordinate supportive services of an organization, such as recordkeeping, mail distribution, telephone operator/receptionist, and other office support services. May oversee facilities planning and maintenance and custodial operations.
- Chief Executive Officer. Determine and formulate policies and provide the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Compensation and Benefits Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities and staff of an organization.
- Human Relations Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, and regulatory compliance.
- Shipping Receiving Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the storage and distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing and distributing materials and products.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Transportation Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Postmaster Training
Saint Leo University - Saint Leo, FL
Saint Leo University, 33701 State Road 52, Saint Leo, FL 33574-6665. Saint Leo University is a large university located in Saint Leo, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,442 students and an admission rate of 73%. Saint Leo University has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration which graduated one student in 2008.
St Petersburg College - Clearwater, FL
St Petersburg College, 14025 58th Street North, Clearwater, FL 33760. St Petersburg College is a large college located in Clearwater, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 26,099 students. St Petersburg College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Public Administration which graduated twelve and one students respectively in 2008.
University of South Florida - Tampa, FL
University of South Florida, 4202 East Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL 33620-9951. University of South Florida is a large university located in Tampa, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 46,174 students and an admission rate of 46%. University of South Florida has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence: The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence is a professional who leads and champions process-improvement initiatives everywhere from small businesses to multinational corporations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of service and industrial settings.
For more information, see the American Society for Quality website.
Certified Manager: Certified Manager certification is valued for the credibility and recognition it brings to managers and the organizations for which they work.
For more information, see the Institute of Certified Professional Managers website.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Tampa, Florida
Tampa is located in Hillsborough County, Florida. It has a population of over 340,882, which has grown by 12.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Tampa, 95, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Tampa are valued at $188,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, six hundred thirty-five new homes were constructed in Tampa, down from 1,008 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Tampa are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 25.4% of Tampa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Tampa is 11.8%, which is greater than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Tampa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Abundant Life Assembly of God Church, Florida Tampa Mission and Most Holy Redeemer Church are among the churches located in Tampa. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Tampa is home to the Parkers Railroad Station and the Drew Station Railroad Station as well as Ybor City Museum State Park and American Legion Playground. Shopping centers in the area include Northgate Shopping Center, Old Hyde Park Village Shopping Center and Benttree Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Tampa can choose from Backstage Restaurant & Lounge, Baymont Tampa Busch Gardens and Budget Inn for temporary stays in the area.