Career and Education Opportunities for Display Specialists in Tampa, Florida
Display specialist career and educational opportunities abound in Tampa, Florida. About 3,620 people are currently employed as display specialists in Florida. By 2016, this is expected to grow 16% to about 4,190 people employed. This is better than the national trend for display specialists, which sees this job pool growing by about 7.1% over the next eight years. In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
Display specialists earn approximately $12 per hour or $25,990 annually on average in Florida. Nationally they average about $12 hourly or $25,940 annually. Display specialists earn less than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in Florida and less than people in the Art and Design category nationally. Jobs in this field include: sales representative, display designer, and display department manager.
The Tampa area is home to fifty-four schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Tampa where you can get a degree as a display specialist. The most common level of education for display specialists is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a display specialist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Display Specialist
In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
Display specialists change or rotate window displays, interior display areas, and signage to reflect changes in inventory or promotion. They also arrange properties and other accessories, as shown in prepared sketches. Equally important, display specialists have to formulate commercial displays to entice and appeal to customers. They are often called upon to design concepts or plans for merchandise displays or window decorations. Finally, display specialists confer with advertising and sales staff to establish types of products to be featured and time and place for each display.
Every day, display specialists are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to twist and stretch their arms and legs to get work done. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for display specialists to place prices and descriptive signs on backdrops or floor. They are often called upon to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements. They also collaborate with others to obtain products and other display items. They are sometimes expected to obtain plans from display designers or display managers, and consider their implementation with clients or supervisors. Somewhat less frequently, display specialists are also expected to maintain props and mannequins, inspecting them for imperfections and applying preservative coatings as needed.
Display specialists sometimes are asked to store and maintain records of props and display items. And finally, they sometimes have to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements.
Like many other jobs, display specialists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Tampa include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Display Specialist Training
Everest University-Tampa - Tampa, FL
Everest University-Tampa, 3319 W Hillsborough Ave, Tampa, FL 33614. Everest University-Tampa is a small university located in Tampa, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 451 students and an admission rate of 74%. Everest University-Tampa has an associate's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated five students in 2008.
Pinellas Technical Education Center-Clearwater - Clearwater, FL
Pinellas Technical Education Center-Clearwater, 6100 154th Ave N, Clearwater, FL 33760-2140. Pinellas Technical Education Center-Clearwater is a small school located in Clearwater, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,157 students. Pinellas Technical Education Center-Clearwater has a one to two year program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated three students in 2008.
St Petersburg College - Clearwater, FL
St Petersburg College, 14025 58th Street North, Clearwater, FL 33760. St Petersburg College is a large college located in Clearwater, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 26,099 students. St Petersburg College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated six and seven students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Tampa, Florida
Tampa is located in Hillsborough County, Florida. It has a population of over 340,882, which has grown by 12.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Tampa, 95, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Tampa are valued at $188,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, six hundred thirty-five new homes were constructed in Tampa, down from 1,008 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Tampa are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 25.4% of Tampa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Tampa is 11.8%, which is greater than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Tampa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Abundant Life Assembly of God Church, Florida Tampa Mission and Most Holy Redeemer Church are among the churches located in Tampa. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Tampa is home to the Parkers Railroad Station and the Drew Station Railroad Station as well as Ybor City Museum State Park and American Legion Playground. Shopping centers in the area include Northgate Shopping Center, Old Hyde Park Village Shopping Center and Benttree Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Tampa can choose from Backstage Restaurant & Lounge, Baymont Tampa Busch Gardens and Budget Inn for temporary stays in the area.