Career and Education Opportunities for Cost Analysts in Tallahassee, Florida
There are many career and education opportunities for cost analysts in the Tallahassee, Florida area. There are currently 12,770 working cost analysts in Florida; this should grow 29% to 16,410 working cost analysts in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for cost analysts, which sees this job pool growing by about 25.3% over the next eight years. In general, cost analysts prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service.
Income for cost analysts is about $25 hourly or $54,040 annually on average in Florida. Nationally, their income is about $27 hourly or $56,510 per year. Earnings for cost analysts are better than earnings in the general category of Adjustment and Analysis in Florida and better than general Adjustment and Analysis category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: job estimator, cost estimator, and design consultant.
The Tallahassee area is home to nine schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Tallahassee where you can get a degree as a cost analyst. Cost analysts usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a cost analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cost Analyst
In general, cost analysts prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. They also may specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
Cost analysts confer with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction foremen to consider and formulate estimates and resolve issues. They also talk with engineers, architects, owners, and contractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates. Equally important, cost analysts have to analyze blueprints and other documentation to ready time and labor estimates. They are often called upon to ready estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors. They are expected to ready estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work. Finally, cost analysts ready cost and expenditure statements and other needed documentation at regular intervals for the duration of projects.
Every day, cost analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to deal with basic arithmetic problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for cost analysts to ready and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors. They are often called upon to establish and maintain tendering process, and conduct negotiations. Somewhat less frequently, cost analysts are also expected to visit site and record data related to access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity.
Cost analysts sometimes are asked to visit site and record data related to access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity. And finally, they sometimes have to prepare cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
Like many other jobs, cost analysts must be thorough and dependable and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Tallahassee include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Coroner. Direct activities such as autopsies, pathological and toxicological analyses, and inquests relating to the investigation of deaths occurring within a legal jurisdiction to determine cause of death or to fix responsibility for accidental, violent, or unexplained deaths.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Emergency Management Coordinator. Coordinate disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural, wartime, or technological disasters or hostage situations.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Insurance Adjuster. Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants. Correspond with or interview medical specialists, agents, or claimants to compile information. Calculate benefit payments and approve payment of claims within a certain monetary limit.
- Insurance Appraiser. Appraise automobile or other vehicle damage to determine cost of repair for insurance claim settlement and seek agreement with automotive repair shop on cost of repair. Prepare insurance forms to indicate repair cost or cost estimates and recommendations.
- Insurance Underwriter. Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cost Analyst Training
Florida State University - Tallahassee, FL
Florida State University, 211 Westcott Bldg, Tallahassee, FL 32306-1037. Florida State University is a large university located in Tallahassee, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 38,717 students and an admission rate of 47%. Florida State University has 3 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Mechanical Engineering, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated seventy-nine, twelve, and four students respectively in 2008.
- Business/Commerce, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated twenty-one, 157, and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated seventy-six and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University - Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, , Tallahassee, FL 32307. Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is a large university located in Tallahassee, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 11,672 students. Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University has 3 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Mechanical Engineering, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated seven, one, and one students respectively in 2008.
- Construction Engineering Technology/Technician, bachelor's degree which graduated 17 students in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and sixty-eight students respectively in 2008.
Tallahassee Community College - Tallahassee, FL
Tallahassee Community College, 444 Appleyard Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32304-2895. Tallahassee Community College is a large college located in Tallahassee, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,048 students. Tallahassee Community College has 2 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Construction Engineering Technology/Technician, associate's degree.
- Business Administration and Management, associate's degree which graduated 7 students in 2008.
Flagler College-Tallahassee - Tallahassee, FL
Flagler College-Tallahassee, 444 Appleyard Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32304. Flagler College-Tallahassee is a small college located in Tallahassee, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 454 students. Flagler College-Tallahassee has a bachelor's degree program in Business Administration and Management which graduated sixty-seven students in 2008.
Thomas University - Thomasville, GA
Thomas University, 1501 Millpond Rd, Thomasville, GA 31792. Thomas University is a small university located in Thomasville, Georgia. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 906 students. Thomas University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Business/Commerce which graduated two and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Professional Estimator: The American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE) has been certifying construction estimators for over thirty years.
For more information, see the American Society of Professional Estimators website.
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist: CAMS certification is rrecognized by employers in both private industry and government.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists website.
Certified Investment Management Analyst: The CIMA offers an intense educational experience focusing on asset allocation, manager search and selection, investment policy and performance measurement.
For more information, see the Investment Management Consultants Association website.
Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst : The Society's Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst (CCE/A) program provides a professional credential to SCEA members and nonmembers who demonstrate mastery of basic concepts and methods.
For more information, see the Society of Cost Estimating and Analysis website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Tallahassee, Florida
Tallahassee is located in Leon County, Florida. It has a population of over 171,922, which has grown by 14.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Tallahassee, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Tallahassee are priced at $166,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, three hundred new homes were built in Tallahassee, down from six hundred thirty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Tallahassee are educational services, public administration, and health care. For men, it is public administration, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 19 minutes. More than 45.0% of Tallahassee residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 19.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Tallahassee is 7.1%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Tallahassee residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.6%, is less than both the national and state average. Abundant Life Foursquare Church, Advent Episcopal Church and Aftermath Church are among the churches located in Tallahassee. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Tallahassee is home to the Miracle Plaza and the Tallahassee Community College Library as well as Old Fort Park and Alfred B Maclay Gardens State Park. Shopping malls in the area include Northwood Mall, Parkway Shopping Center and Tallahassee Mall. Visitors to Tallahassee can choose from Cactus Motel, Best Western Pride Inn Suites and Budget Inn for temporary stays in the area.