Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Pembroke Pines, Florida
Legal secretaries can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Pembroke Pines, Florida area. There are currently 20,050 working legal secretaries in Florida; this should grow by 30% to about 26,080 working legal secretaries in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
The income of a legal secretary is about $18 hourly or $38,560 yearly on average in Florida. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $19 per hour or $39,860 per year on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Secretarial, people working as legal secretaries in Florida earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Secretarial nationally.
The Pembroke Pines area is home to ninety-seven schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Pembroke Pines where you can get a degree as a legal secretary. Given that the most common education level for legal secretaries is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, you can expect to spend about two years studying to be a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pembroke Pines include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
Lincoln College of Technology - West Palm Beach, FL
Lincoln College of Technology, 2410 Metrocentre Boulevard, West Palm Beach, FL 33407-3105. Lincoln College of Technology is a small college located in West Palm Beach, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,722 students. Lincoln College of Technology has an associate's degree program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated one student in 2008.
Sheridan Technical Center - Hollywood, FL
Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL 33021. Sheridan Technical Center is a small school located in Hollywood, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,526 students. Sheridan Technical Center has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated two students in 2008.
Miami Dade College - Miami, FL
Miami Dade College, 300 NE 2nd Ave., Miami, FL 33132-2297. Miami Dade College is a large college located in Miami, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 57,106 students. Miami Dade College has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated two students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Pembroke Pines is situated in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 145,661, which has grown by 6.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Pembroke Pines, 116, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Pembroke Pines are valued at $117,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, five new homes were built in Pembroke Pines, up from three the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Pembroke Pines are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is public administration, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 28.7% of Pembroke Pines residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pembroke Pines is 8.6%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Pembroke Pines residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Baptist Church, Boulevard Chapel and Taft Street Chapel are all churches located in Pembroke Pines. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Pembroke Pines is home to the Hollywood Lakes Country Club and the Pines Bank Plaza as well as Kennedy Park and Snake Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Pembroke Pines Shopping Center, Pembroke Village Shopping Center and University Mall.