Career and Education Opportunities for Credit Investigators in Pembroke Pines, Florida
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for credit investigators in the Pembroke Pines, Florida area. There are currently 5,080 working credit investigators in Florida; this should grow 6% to 5,400 working credit investigators in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for credit investigators are expected to grow by about 2.8%. Credit investigators generally investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit.
Credit investigators earn approximately $15 hourly or $32,740 annually on average in Florida. Nationally they average about $14 per hour or $30,390 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization, people working as credit investigators in Florida earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization nationally.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Pembroke Pines where you can study to be a credit investigator, among ninety-seven schools of higher education total in the Pembroke Pines area. Credit investigators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a credit investigator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Credit Investigator
In general, credit investigators investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. They also telephone or write to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
Every day, credit investigators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for credit investigators to ready reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriters or computers. They are often called upon to obtain data related to potential creditors from banks and other credit services, and furnish reciprocal data if requested. They also interview credit applicants by telephone or in person so as to obtain personal and financial data needed to finish credit report. Somewhat less frequently, credit investigators are also expected to examine city directories and public archives in order to confirm residence property ownership or unpaid taxes of applicants.
Credit investigators sometimes are asked to contact former employers and other acquaintances to confirm applicants' references and social behavior. They also have to be able to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone And finally, they sometimes have to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone.
Like many other jobs, credit investigators must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pembroke Pines include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Customer Care Specialist. Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Eligibility and Occupancy Interviewer. Determine eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, and public housing.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Credit Investigator Training
Miami Dade College - Miami, FL
Miami Dade College, 300 NE 2nd Ave., Miami, FL 33132-2297. Miami Dade College is a large college located in Miami, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 57,106 students. Miami Dade College has a less than one year program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated seventeen students in 2008.
Northwood University-Florida Education Center - West Palm Beach, FL
Northwood University-Florida Education Center, 2600 N Military Trail, West Palm Beach, FL 33409-2911. Northwood University-Florida Education Center is a small university located in West Palm Beach, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 773 students and an admission rate of 54%. Northwood University-Florida Education Center has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated eight and eight students respectively in 2008.
Palm Beach Community College - Lake Worth, FL
Palm Beach Community College, 4200 Congress Ave, Lake Worth, FL 33461-4796. Palm Beach Community College is a large college located in Lake Worth, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 25,122 students. Palm Beach Community College has a less than one year program in Banking and Financial Support Services.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Pembroke Pines is situated in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 145,661, which has grown by 6.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Pembroke Pines, 116, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Pembroke Pines are valued at $117,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, five new homes were built in Pembroke Pines, up from three the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Pembroke Pines are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is public administration, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 28.7% of Pembroke Pines residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pembroke Pines is 8.6%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Pembroke Pines residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Baptist Church, Boulevard Chapel and Taft Street Chapel are all churches located in Pembroke Pines. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Pembroke Pines is home to the Hollywood Lakes Country Club and the Pines Bank Plaza as well as Kennedy Park and Snake Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Pembroke Pines Shopping Center, Pembroke Village Shopping Center and University Mall.